1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why is the Corelli 370TX G string lower tension than the 370F?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by unbrokenchain, Oct 12, 2017.

1. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Have a set of Corelli 370Fs coming in the mail today, planning to swap them onto my 69 Kay C1 in hopes they won't bow the neck quite as much as the Spiro mittels do, and hopefully a little more forgiving with arco. I noticed on the tension chart at Gollihur that the TX (heavy gauge) G string actually has a lower tension than its middle gauge counterpart. I happen to have a set of older Corelli 370TXs lying around, wondering if anyone's tried using the TX G with the 370 DAE, or see any reason I shouldn't?

2. Disclaimer: for what I know.

Don't know where is that chart but the TX model is more a difference in construction than in tension.
    The TX series are more rigid and have a brighter tone.

3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Sub'd. I've been curious about this as well.

4. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Well I went ahead and set it up with the 370Fs and the TX G. D and G string are almost the same diameter, but I don't really see why that's a problem. Haven't tried the forte G to compare, probably won't since I really like the way the TX G feels and sounds.

Have had them on maybe two hours now so I'm sure the sound will change a bit, but it seems like a perfect string solution for this bass. They are noticeably quieter than the spiro mittels as expected, but great tone and the relief on this wimpy kay neck is much easier to handle. They are indeed infinitely easier for arco and the flexibility of the string makes vibrato effortless. Much easier to play quick pizz lines as well. This bass will get a neck rebuild at some point, but I'm trying to make it last at least through rest of the year as my primary, and this gives me a bit more confidence. Almost all my gigs are amplified anyway, so acoustic volume isn't the biggest deal to me.