1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is the Marcus Miller so cheap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstotheface, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Most Fender deluxes will run you, what, 1200? You can find a great Marcus Miller for 700, Why?

MMs play so smoothly and have a great versatile sound so I must be missing something.

Someone tell me what Fender is thinking charging so little for these great instruments? Is it purely a Japan stigma thing? Are the electronics subpar, cheap, crap? Is the wood used to make them from Indian burial sites? Was he linked romantically to Fender's mom? Steal Fender's girlfriend? Remove the tag from Fender's pillow? What's up?

2. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    The mom part, i think.

3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Well number one, I think you're onto something big!

Number two, I think the Marcus Miller is a Made in Japan instrument. $700 is a great price. Now if they made a similar P-bass for that price? ooooh la laaaa!

4. Billy, they do. They just don't sell it out of japan.

I've always wondered why Fender Japan gets all the cool stuff. :(

5. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    they are cheap and heavy imo

6. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I think I'm missing something. MSRP of a Marcus Jazz is $1,699.99. Musicians Friend has them new for $1,199.99...

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Maybe he's talking used? I think the MM was cheaper originally and has gone up in price in the last few years, so the used price may be lagging behind or if the OP was talking new pricing he may be seeing old pricing and not current.

8. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    A few years back I paid $500 for a mint condition used MM jazz. It was a nice bass but probably the heaviest bass I have ever owned.