Why is the Markbass TTE 500 less expensive?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Laklndad, Oct 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Laklndad

Laklndad

Oct 11, 2015
    Noticing some online prices for the Markbass TTE 500 are pretty cheap especially if you compare it with other Markbass amps. Mostly your Used prices. Saw one for four ninety nine. Maybe I'm not familiar with the price point but wondering if they have lost there appeal?

2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Could you post a link please?

Could be because of the styling change, now called TTE 501.

The TTE amps weren't exactly popular, which is a real shame 'cuz they look and sound great.

3. Laklndad

Laklndad

Oct 11, 2015
    yeah, I saw that the 501 replaced the 500.

4. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    If it interests you, pick one up. They're functionally identical. The 500 looks way cooler while the 501 is more resistant to liquids.

I have many Class D amps (GK, Mesa, several MarkBass, Fender) and while others have more features and enjoy far more popularity, and are smaller if that matters to you, the 501 is my favorite. Wouldn't mind trying the new Fender Bassman with classic look and OD channel.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    I own both the TTE500 and the Bassman 500. The Bassman looks nicer, especially when paired with one of the Bassman Neo cabs, and sounds excellent, but for me the TTE500 is even better sound-wise. Having the second channel probably gives the Bassman the overall edge over the TTE500, but the TTE500 is a fabulous amp.

eff-clef likes this.
  6. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks. I've never used a 2nd channel, not even for heavy rock or soloing, so that feature isn't important to me. I prefer the form factor & size of the TTE too. I'd just be curious how the Bassman sounds. Didn't care for the overdrive/distortion on the Rumble amp; any idea if it's the same circuit in the Bassman?

7. Laklndad

Laklndad

Oct 11, 2015
    From my original post I saw a used TTE500 on Guitar Center but it's not there anymore. It was a pretty low price so there might have been a reason for that. Someone had said if you want more headroom, the TTE500 is not your amp. They were referring to any volume past 10:00 o'clock which was a nice saturation but it had less headroom past this volume. But from reading your posts this sounds not enough of an issue. What volume level do you use on the TTE500, not withstanding your typical variables such as active, passive, eq?

8. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    The 500 is Class A and the 501 is Class D.

I had a TTE 500 and now have a TTE 801. The 500's voicing has a lot less bottom end than the 801. I have not tried a TTE501 though,

9. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    It would've been used, but otherwise should've been clean and working perfectly at that price. Had I seen it, I'd have bought it. With patience you can find used pricing under $600 and around $500, often with a gig bag.

There's an M-Audio bag that fits it perfectly, has lots of extra pockets, can be carried like a backpack, and isn't gaudy like the MarkBass bag. Best of all, you can carry it upright which is easier than horizontally the way the MarkBass gigbag handle is. Another thing I prefer on the TTE to the Bassman's design is the TTE has its handle on the side. Makes for an easier carry and leaves room for things on top of the amp.

As for headroom, when you write "any volume past 10:00 o'clock which was a nice saturation but it had less headroom past this volume", do you mean Master Volume? I've gigged with mine cranked many times, as one band I play in requires 500 watts and at least a 4x10 to get involved in the live stage mix. No problem, as it should be with any amp of proper design.

If you mean on the input end, it's no different than any other amp I have - you set it to clipping on occasion, or lower depending on what you like to hear, and if your input signal is extra hot there's a -10 dB pad button. With actives using moderate if any EQ boost, and passives with extremely high output I never need to use the -10 dB pad. With some extra gain from pedals I might need to set it around 11 o'clock for occasional clipping on really hard hits - I mean full arm swings onto the E string, or hard slap & pop, not regular fingerstyle. The very nice onboard compressor helps mitigate any major transients.

In short there's plenty of headroom and grunt. Never an issue. I'll gladly put it up against any 500-900w rated amp anyone makes with respect to sound and power.

I'm no compressor expert, but I've used them from high-end studios to cheap pedals. I think the one on this amp is excellent. Fantastic, for my needs. No hissing or obvious "breathing" even when cranked, and not at all obtrusive. Very easy to set, what with only one knob, which is ideal for me while anathema to compressor freaks... but they don't need to use it.

I'd argue that it comes in handy because there's so much headroom, meaning you sometimes need to watch what you crank into your speakers. If the front end were easy to max out, there'd be nothing to compress. At least that's how I think of it.

eff-clef likes this.
  10. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks. I meant as far as the actual functions, dimensions, etc. go.

MarkBass site is typically devoid of much info. It lists the 500/800 as having "Special Markbass Digital Power Supply" and the 501/801 as having "TTE (Tube Technology Emulator) Power Amp" and since "Tube Technology Emulator" is what the "TTE" in the name stands for, that's muddy water.

Also the 800 was a 500 with an "800" sticker overtop the silk-screened 500 logo as far as I can tell. Makes me think they just coaxed an extra nominal few watts out of the same amp, usually done via more efficient cooling. I say "few watts" since there's no audible difference between 500w and 800w volume-wise.

Last thing I need is more low end from that amp, so any difference in that respect isn't important to me. I never have the Bass EQ above noon, and often below it. MarkBass doesn't even explain if this "passive EQ" is interactive between the bands and to what degree (sounds like it to me) and if it's a Fender?Marshall type tone stack or what ... as in what would constitute "flat".

"Use your ears" any would say, and I agree. It'd just be nice to get their take on it, or maybe Randy's. In any case, it works great for me from light pop to heavy metal.

I'll get an 800 or 801 someday. Am waiting for good used deals. There are so few out there.

11. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    Yes the 801 also is a sticker/plate over the top of the 501 logo. However the 800 was class D and the 500 Class A so definitely not the same power section.
    One criticism I've seen of the 500 is that it lacked lows although, as always, it would depend on the cab used. This is not an issue with the TTE801 certainly.

I too wish there was more information from Markbass about the tone stack and how else the 501 and 801 differ from their predecessors.

12. Laklndad

Laklndad

Oct 11, 2015
    If you do a little research, the TTE 500 is class D, not class A, according to some reviews. Actually, I'm not sure what the differences are between the 500 and the 501.

13. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    According to the Markbass site the TTE 500 has an analogue power amp. I've read most of the reviews and haven't seen any mention of a digital power amp section. We're you thinking of the power supply?

eff-clef likes this.
  14. Laklndad

Laklndad

Oct 11, 2015
    On the Markbass site right below the description of "power amp" is "power supply" which says "digital". Usually the difference for me in class depends on the power supply. You have analog power in the amp section but if your power supply is digital, it is usually class D. I could be technically wrong, but that's what the amp manufacturers have been producing, and to me this would be class D. Further checking I see there is some terms that get confused from some reviews. Bass player mag says the power amp is class D, which is technically still analog. Markbass and other amp manufacturers are so advanced that the classifications are blurred.

15. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I'm sorry but you are mistaken.The class refers to the power amp. All Markbass amps for the last 10 years have had switched mode power supplies (digital).

eff-clef likes this.
  16. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Me? I can't say I've ever had the master above 12 noon. I've used the TTE500 with 115, 212, 410 and 610 cabs and never found it lacking in headroom.

eff-clef likes this.
  17. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    True. The 800 Markbass modules are digital, and in my experience the 500 watt analogue modules eat them for breakfast. I owned a LMII and a LM800 concurrently for a while and the LM800 was a big disappointment - the 500w LMII was both warmer and louder.

eff-clef likes this.
  18. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    That was true for the older models but since the Big Bang the newer class D modules have been much warmer. My Class D TTE 801 is even warmer than than my old Class A/B TTE 500 and much louder with more headroom.

19. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I'd bet heavily that the only difference between the 00 and the 01 series is the casing. Amazing that a global player such as MarkBass hasn't got someone online to clarify things. They used to have a rep posting here.

My 2c.

I've got an LMII that I've been using since before they were sold in the States. Record almost weekly with it, from pop to funk to doom metal. Never struck me as lacking warmth, or volume, and I don't think I've ever put the Bass eq up past 5 or 6.

I also own and regularly use Mesa amps and own a Big Bang and one of the newer GK micros, so I think that makes for good informed comparison. I'm not saying they all sound the same, just saying the Mark isn't lacking.

The TTE500, given its unusual passive EQ section, doesn't have an exaggerated pillowy bottom end, which I think many people call "warm" then don't realize how boomy and indistinct they sound at gig volume. Rather it has a clean hard punch throughout the sonic spectrum and through the range of the Master Vol, which is on par with what I'd expect from a good tube emulation.

For someone who wants to hide in the mix or mask poor technique, it's not a great choice. Better for someone who wants to clearly occupy their part of the mix and hit like a sledgehammer.

eff-clef likes this.