Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is the used market so slow right now?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Hey. I've been trying to sell a couple of cool basses online for a week now at bassgear.com and harmonycentral.com, and it seems the market is really slow right now -- definitely a "buyer's market."

For those of you who buy/sell/trade regularly: Is this a function of the general slowdown of the economy? Or a post-Xmas effect? Or are Warwicks and Moduluses (that's what I'm selling) going out of style?

If this is a function of the economy, could we sellers maybe send a lobbyist to Washington DC to ask Alan Greenspan to step in???

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A lot of people are still smarting from Christmas and heating bills, plus the reality of recently-received W-2's reminds many of the tax bite coming in April.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've noticed a slowdown in my ability to sell off gear online since last fall.

I don't think it's Christmnas as much as activity on ebay, etc. causing a glut in supply resulting in a buyer's market.

4. I feel that a lot of it is the bad impression that some people have about used gear, plus the market is changing so fast that something really cool even a year or 2 old is now ho hum and forget about it if it is older. Plus the fad driven market makes a lot of stuff not desirable, eg I have been trying to sell a high quality bass preamp but no one wants it because it dosen't have a tube in it. I have also in the same time sold several things for much more than there worth because they are in vogue right now, but IMO they sucked.

On the other hand for smart buyers there are bargains to be had. I have made 2 purchases this year on a collectable amp and bass that were less than half of what they should have been because most people looking on the internet aren't knowledgeable. In the vintage/ collectable area if it ain't a fender, alembic or an early music man most could care less.

5. It's a buyer's market for me, at least--I bought another Eden D-210T for $315 with shipping. The D-210Ts command a much lower (~$150) resale value than the D-210XLTs, even though their list prices only differ by $110. Good for me, bad for the guy in San Antonio who I bought it from...

Sorry that you can't sell your bass, Jordan. I'd drive down to Bethlehem and take a look but I'm kinda short on cash now--haven't been paid in a while...

6. Well, all I can say is there's nothing for me on Ebay or Yahoo auctions, it's all on bassgear.com, you guys should check it out.