1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why is this active Fender MIM PJ $100 cheaper than this passive Fender MIM PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass74, Sep 9, 2017.

1. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    I'm checking out PJ bass options. The Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass Special goes for $799.99. However the Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ which is passive goes for $899.99. This passive bass is a special GC/MF exclusive.

I haven't been able to figure out the reason for the $100.00 difference. It seems that the active bass would be more expensive. Is there a concrete reason for the price difference?

Both have alder bodies. The necks are different. The bridges are the same. The cheaper active one also comes with a gig bag.

On the active bass, if you switch it to passive mode, is it truly the same as a passive bass? Do you have any tone control in passive mode?

Also, opinions on which one you would prefer and why are welcome.

2. Grooveline

Grooveline Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Bound and blocked neck with a "special" color offering would be my guess as to the $100 difference. As far as switching to passive mode it will be the same as a passive bass and you will have a tone control.

pbass74 likes this.
  3. Sartori

Sartori Supporting Member

Binding and block inlays, plus non-standard color.

pbass74 likes this.
  4. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    +1 to the above- Binding / Blocks / Sexy Color.

However, the real interesting part is that they're now selling for the same $799. (click on site to see)
    Your decision now boils down to a simpler, more straight forward comparison: Active Pre vs. Flashier Looks.
    The Cost differential is no longer a consideration.

Luck with your decision... Aesthetics vs Feature Flexibility.

pbass74 likes this.
  5. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. We live in a world with too many choices--kind of like going to a restaurant with a book for a menu.

6. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83 Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2017
    We do?

7. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Well, maybe we don't. "We live in a world where I can't afford all the choices", might be a more accurate statement.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  8. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    One model is regular production, was is special run. Simple as that.