Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why is this so quiet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Oct 23, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    My rig currently consists of an ART tubechannel preamp, a carvin dcm1000 power amp, and ernie ball hd210 and hd212. I played an outdoor show last saturday, and was disapointed. I'v had the setup since june and gigged with it 3 times before. Inside, its got plenty of volume, but I had the power amp bridged to 1000 watts driving the two cabs with the preamp almost high enough in output to clip the power amp, and I still wasn't too incredibly loud on this outdoor gig.

Perhaps it has something to do with fighting two loud guitarrists each with 100 watt heads and 4x12's. Maybe its because My amp was right next to one of the 4x12's. Maybe I'm standing too close or too far away from my stack.

Maybe its me, but I expected 1000 watts through a 105dB 210 and a 99dB 212 to be much louder. When i went from 425 watts to 1000 watts, it was barely louder. Is my power amp the problem? Am i simply not moving enough air or having a big enough rig to compete with 8 12's? Or are all outdoor gigs really hard to get good volume.

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    First, a thousand watts dissipates pretty fast at an outdoor gig. Second I've heard that the carvin amps are a bit overrated. I can't confirm this but it's what I've heard. Third, doubling your wattage only results in a 3 db increase in perceived volume. For outdoor gigs you may have to go through the PA if that possible. Also adding more mids to your eq might help you to be heard as the great outdoors really sucks up the lows. Hope this helps

3. Yeah! Perhaps. Man, to put it simply: that's a tough spot to be in. I see this situation all the time. IMO it starts with the fact that g**tar*st have it easy being heard and TWO of 'em have it flat-out made. Then you're there all alone (handicapped) with half the power and speakers. It results in you and the listeners not being able to hear the BASS. The best advice "I" ever received on this subject was do not play this game. Do not try to "compete". If you ignore this then get comfortable with not being heard in this setting. There is one other alternative: tubes. Fight fire with fire. Lots and lots of tubes...

4. Either that, or dial in some low-mids between 100 and 300 Hertz. That's what tube amps all seem to have in their favour: a pronounced midbass peak.

5. Back in the bad old days this sort of thing happened all the time. The only decent bass amp you could use was a Fender Bassman or Ampeg B-15 with 50 to 100 watts of power tops. Between the drummer and the Guitar player, the bass was lost. Especially if you are working with players who have no concept of balance. I don't know howmany guitar players I've known over the years that only listen to guitar. They couldn't care less about the bass being heard or anything else for that matter just as long as they get to "do their thing". Outside, everything sounds alot different. Without any supporting structures around you bass disapates real fast. I wouldn't start trashing my rig just yet. It sounds like you've got a pretty nice setup.

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I use a DCM1500, First make sure your using the 2 binding posts in the back, this is the only way to bridge the amp. There is a bridge button but it does no good to just push in the button by itself, you must use the binding posts. Outdoor gigs are always tough to get a good sound and takes mass amounts of power to do so, what the others have said about outside gigs are true.