Why is white not white in Adobe Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Okay, I flipped a help message to Adobe but since my D'addario situation, I no longer trust corporate customer support.

How do I set white to white in Adobe Photoshop? On my old computer, setting the RGB to 255,255,255 shows white. However, the white is actually a dirty yellow.

When I select the uncompensated RGB in the View menu, it turns white. It really sucks 'cause I'm just starting digital photography. Can anyone help?

PS. D'addario sucks. They sold me bad strings and it's been over a month since I sent them in...no replacements yet...they CLAIM to have mailed them 2 weeks ago but they are so full of carp.
  2. could be a jacked up monitor...

my adobe photoshop (6.0.1) displays white fine...

have you tried to "degauss" your monitor?
  3. Looks like you need to calibrate your viewscreen. And at that, maybe your printer and camera too.
  4. Cant you set the Hex codes for colours in Adobe? like make FFFFF (pure white) in the colour section?

5. My monitor and camera is fine. I can see white when I'm using anything except Adobe Photoshop.

I'm sifting through the online help and it says the program will compensate for different operating systems and monitors...I don't want that!!! There is a "preview" function that will let me see the picture without compensation...but when I try to save the pictures, it gives it that dirty yellow tint.
  6. What quality and filename are you saving them as? Like if you save it as a Jpg, it comes up with a quality slider. 4 or 5 is about medium and that looks ok.

7. That's what my ol' Sony Trinitron GDM-17se is doing... it likes to randomly flash between different shades of white (everything else gets darker/lighter with it...)

I've been told this means the tube is dying... I shudder at the thought of having to replace this monitor, I got it for FREE when my mom's office closed and now that I'm so horribly spoiled from its beauty, a lesser beast will probably only piss me off...

Money sucks.

8. I don't think it has anything to do with the compression method.

Here's an example of what's happening:

1) Create a white square in Paint.

2) Load white square in Adobe. It appears yellow
    because of the RGB compensation. (How do you turn it off? I think that is the main problem.)

3) Save it and it will appear white in any other program.

* I have noticed that the thumbnail retains the yellow tint though.

I have zero problems rendering white with anything else.
  9. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    This may not be helpful, but did you try unchecking "Display Using Monitor Compensation"?

It's in the File>Color Settings>RGB Setup dialog box.
  10. Aha!!!! That fixed it. Submelodic, you rock. I kept messing with the colour management / gamma settings...

And I haven't heard from Adobe either...
  11. kingsaviola

Sep 24, 2007
    Hi Everyone
    After I searched all over the internet and found no answer to this problem in my computer, I finally succeeded to solve it.
    I don't know if it works in all computers, but it works for me so it worth your try.

All I've done is to uninstall the monitor's driver in the device manager. In the moment I've done that, the problem was solved. Monitor drivers are useless (the windows default "plug and play monitor" works perfectly) so you don't need to reinstall it again or look for new drivers.

Hopes it helps...
  12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Calibrate your monitor. You can do it through photoshop.
  13. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    This is a racist thread.
  14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    You are racist!
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I had the same problem. This problem even dumbfounded a neighbour of mine, who works with Photoshop professionally.
    The problem was Photoshop somehow automatically assigns the sRGB profile which gives that yellow effect. When I change the profile to something else, I get my white back.