1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why isn't the Ampeg 8X10 ported?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, May 15, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've been wondering this lately - why is the Ampeg 8X10 pretty much the only Ampeg cabinet that isn't ported?

2. I believe Ampeg's 810 is a "classic" that sticks with the philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

In all truth, I worked at a venue for a few months last summer, and always scrutinised the bass players and their rigs. Well, one evening I went to the pisser, completely out of sorts, paying no mind to the band setting up. Whilst in the loo, I heard the bass like a ****ing thunderstorm, only to come out and see it as an old P.O.S.-looking Ampeg SVT-3 and 810 cab. It was the loudest, beefiest, ballsiest bass tone I had heard in that venue, and it was most righteous.

I do not have an Ampeg rig, myself, but I definately respect that 810 after hearing it that night. It was like being hit in the chest with a six-hundred pound bratwurst. It was ****ing massive.

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    You've got to copyright that expression!

4. The Ampeg 410HE is sealed like its big brother.

5. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Because it's sealed.

Sealed cabs are just designed differently, and lots of folks say that they sound different too. I tend to agree. Porting is just part of a design, it allows for different cab designs to work effectively.

Bottom line is, it's a friggin monster and there's a reason why it's been on the road for nearly 40 years!

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Do you work for Ampeg? I gotta get me an 8X10!

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I believe that the 810 is sealed to give more of that low-mid punch that is necessary for cutting through overdriven guitars/whatnot.

Deep, sub-100hz. bass takes a lot of power to push, and because it's sealed rather than ported, the 810 starts rolling off the bass around 100hz to keep that power going towards the midrange. The fact that the cab is sealed makes for that super-gut-punchy tone.

It's quite an innovative design, if you think about it.

8. It tightens up the sound. Sealed cabs are generally used with tube amps because a tube amp is generally "looser" and sealed cabs are generally "tighter" so they match well and work for each other. Same goes for SS and ported cabs, ported cabs are generally "looser" and SS amps are usually "quick" so they work in the same way. You can also use different combinations for different sounds you like. SS amp and sealed cab (such as a GK 1001rbII head and an ampeg classic 410) is a VERY punchy and cut through the mix combination.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Because the design pre-dates T/S.

10. What's 'T/S'?

11. Ah, so you've moved one too, I see. :D

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I mean seriously. What on earth does that mean?

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Played SVT's for about 9 years. At one time I had 4 cabs and three heads. Brutal. The weight is just too much. Also, the quality of Ampeg has really gone down over the last 15 - 2 years.

I am going back to sealed cabs and have a Bergantino NV610 coming the first week in July. I will probably be getting a DB750 soon after. That combination, from what I have been told, is an SVt on Steroids for the 21st Century!

14. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    Loose= hits you over the head with a 600 pound bratwurst
    Tight= hits you over the head with a 300 pound hammer

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Whaaaaat? :eyebrow: :confused: :help:

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    my thoughts exactly....still

17. :D Nice put!

18. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Thiele/Small - a set of parameters for speaker specification and enclosure design.

- Tim

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Click on my sig.

Essentially, Thiele and Small solved the equation of motion for ported speakers in a way that allowed engineers to design them using the available computational tools of the time. The same basic solution is used today, albeit software does the number crunching.

20. So I guess we should punch in the numbers for a ported 8x10, someone should build it, and put them side by side and see how they match up, right? Any volunteers? Bueller....?