why isn't there a class D amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iloveloosey, Mar 28, 2003.

1. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    that's not underpowered like the acoustic image clarus (200 watts @ 4 ohms, 5 lbs)

or overkill like the iamp 800, crest st series or peavy (near or over 1,000 watts, 15-23 lbs)

why isn't there a happy medium?????!

i would love to have, say, a 10lb amp that puts out 500 watts.

or am i just unaware of such an amp's existence?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Walter Woods, 7.5 pounds.

200, 450, 650 or 1200 watt models.

$1500 and up.
  3. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    how about an amp that's readily available and that's under a thousand dollars!!!

thanks for offering, though. can I have yours?

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The Crown K Series amps are a variation of Class D.

Class D is really hard to do well, with minimal messing up of the signal integrity.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I hear that in the next couple of years, Acoustic Image is going to produce a high-powered Clarus which will consist of two original Clari (Claruses???) bridged together. The production was put on the shelf because the original Clarus frame was not quite big/sturdy enough to support the two transformers needed to pull this off. I'm still waiting to see what happens on this one.
  6. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    How about Laney B1 head? 1500w/4 ohms, around €900 in Europe, and according to BP has Ampeg-like tone.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't believe that is a class D amplifier.
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    The Laney is class "T" or something like that, which I believe is a form of digital output section.

To ILoveLoosey-- is this a price or weight issue? If it's not either, keep in mind there's nothing wrong with having "too many" watts.
  10. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    The Euphonic Audio i800 is a class D, I believe.
  11. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

This is good advice.
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    hey ilove,

try the iAMP 800, you might like it. the power amp is class D. they don't go for $1,000, but you'll find that you can negotiate some dealers down significantly. very light weight at 19 lbs.

the 800 watts sounds like over kill, but it's not. I just used it last week for a lounge gig with a trio in a small/medium sized club. It sounds just as good at low as it does at high volume. ofcourse, it's nice to have the headroom.
  13. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Over the past few years I think we're starting to see this technology trickle down into semi-affordable bass amps.

I think the trend will continue and probably be the norm further down the road.
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Technically speaking you are absolutely right. It's digital though, so it's pretty much the same thing - or actually with the class H, even better ;)

This doesn't fit into what he was looking for though, a 10lbs digital amp, but I thought to mention it anyways.

I think that with digital technology, the thing in making big digital amps is that their price/power/weight-ratio is much better. I assume it takes pretty much the same amount of cash and parts to manufacture a 700w or 1500w digital amp in conventional form. And if you want it portable, the costs come up a bit - small is always expensive.
  15. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    it's more of a weight issue. living in new york city on the 5th floor with no elevator kind of does that to you! also, regarding the "too many watts". it's just that i find it a bit hard to believe that there aren't any medium gig-sized, lightweight digital amplifiers. i always wondered why acoustic image didn't come out with a high powered version of the clarus. there's certainly a market for it for the electric players. i certainly believe that the technology will trickle down in the coming years, but i want satisfaction now! i may have to try the iamp800. but here's my plan: i'm going to try the upcoming ea wizzy powered speaker (has a 200 watt digital amp, a 12" speaker at 4 ohms, 35lbs, not released yet) with a variety of preamps. of course i'd be stuck with the speaker, but maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing...
  16. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    iamp 600 isn't class D. Think it's just a standard amp -- that's why the 800 is so much lighter.
  17. personally, i don't see the problem with any number of 1U amps with switching output and switching power that weigh in the neighborhood of 15lbs. with a 1U preamp, you have a 25 to thirty lbs. rig that carries in one hand from the fifth floor.

tsal got it right, though -- switching amps cost more per watt at medium (600 - 1000) power than at higher power. the reason is it takes roughly the same number of parts -- the control circuitry is very complex, and doesn't exist in an AB amp, where more power comes from more devices.

however, weight is better reduced using a switching power supply than a switching amp. typically the two are used together, but there are amps out there with class AB output and switching power supplies. the first that comes to mind are QSC PLX amps. they're fairly light.

18. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Just thought of something for you -- I know a tb guy who's selling a Peavey DPC750 for $250. That's 1 rack space, ~12lbs, 700W into 8ohms bridged. Don't think it does 4ohms bridged.

e-mail me if you want his address.

19. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    Bob Lee is correct when he says that Class D is hard to do without messing up the signal integrity. This is precisely why the EA Class D amplifier circuitry has been 6 years in development with the primary emphasis being on tonal quality. I am happy to report that our customers indicate we have succeeded.

Gary Gibilisco, Euphonic Audio, Inc.