Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why isn't there a good single-space rack unit?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I've owned the GT-6B and various pedal effects, but I'm looking for the convenience of filling the last space in my rack with a multi-effects unit (chorus, comp, drive, optional synth) that doesn't affect the signal in a bypass mode.

Does anyone have any insight for new products coming out in the near future? Something like the Line 6 unit might be nice if it were only in a single space.

I've heard some guys using the Boss VF-1 with decent results... can anyone here personally attest to this? Most of the 50+ reviews on harmony-central.com are not bass related.

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    The Rocktron Intellifex is cheap and surprisingly good. Ask Superbassman2000.

3. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the tip. I'll do that.

4. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    It looks like Rocktron also has a unit replacing the Intelliflex... the Xpression.

5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Michael Manring uses a VF-1. I have a VF-1 yet I sound nothing like Michael Manring. I'll attribute that to the unit's versatility rather than my lack of skill. ;-)

6. yes, it's true...you can have it if you want (for money that is pm me if you are interested, i can't talk about prices here!)
    the intellefx has reverb, chorus, pitchshifter, flanger, delays, odd noise makers...all sorts of things...no synth though, but still pretty cool for a 1 space rack effect.

7. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    That has to be the Post of the Day. (We should have a Post of the Day. Paul?)

8. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Eventide eclipse begs to differ.

9. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I think that one is a little out of my price range. I guess I should further qualify... a good single-rack unit under $500.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a very similar problem with my Yamaha NE-1. I just can't get a Nathan East technique out of it.

11. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Maybe you need to update the operator system.

12. If you ever have the chance to play a Boss SE-70 (the precursor to the VF-1), I found that it is one of the best sounding multi-effects units ever created. This was before Boss got hooked on the COSM (C-something, O-something, S-something, Modeling) that they injected into all of their effects.

The SE-70 takes the best of their floor effects and put them in a Midi-capable box. The distortions are all analog (as opposed to the sterile digital versions now), and sound nice and warm.

There's also the ingenious addition of a 1/8" phone jack on the front. You just don't find that anymore.

I still wish I hadn't sold it to my previous guitarist when his VF-1 died on him.

Oh, one last thing. The Boss multi-effects do a number of very different effects, whereas the Rocktron units are somewhat limited. If variety is key for you, I'd look somewhere other than Rocktron.

13. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    MoPhat,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on the SE-70 as far as:

- how usable the distortions are for bass
    - is there any kind of envelope filter
    - quality of the bass synth

thanks!

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a VF-1 also (used with a Yamaha RBX 765A). Great unit!! Tons of sound shaping features/effects for a variety of instruments and vocals....so much so, that I haven't even scratched the surface of what this box can do yet. You'll need to spend a fair amount of time to tweak the presets, but it's not difficult. I also had some issues with white noise, but I rearranged my signal change and now it's barely perceptible.

I'd recommend this unit in a heartbeat!

15. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've been using the precursor to the the SE-70 (it's an SE-50) for many a moon, but I have no need for an envelope filter...the SE-70 has that.

If mine took a crap tomorrow, I'd probably go buy that VF-1.

16. - Distortions are usable...much better than the VF-1, but (for what it's worth) since you'd probably have rack effects in your amps effects loop, and distortions sound best going between the bass and the amp input, and if distortion is something you're really particular about, you might want to find a perfect pedal and use that upstream of your amp.

- No 'envelope filter' per se. There's an Autowah which is touch-sensitive, so it's sort of like an envelope filter. Not as quacky as a Q-tron, but just like the Boss Auto Wah pedal.

- In my mind, the bass synth is so-so. Better than the Boss Syb-3 or 5, but still sounds like early to mid '90s technology. It ain't a Moog, but is better than Casio. :D Tracking is okay, but you cannot play chords with it and your muting (string silencing) is key.

17. is the VF1 and SE 70 single space and rack mountable ???

18. just looked at one............looked like half rack units

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

On a related note, why isn't there a half rack tuner ?
    Who needs a full U to tune a bass ?
    I loved my Boss TU-50.