1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

why it's a good idea to tweak your settings...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcake, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i have traveler guitar TB-4P that i don't pick up that much, so this morning i decided to play it for a while. i had forgotten that yesterday i was doing something specific with another bass that meant i had turned down the treble, turned down more than normal the mids and crank the bass. so i'm playing along with a song when i notice that the bass is sounding exceptionally good - more powerful and rich than i remember, and after playing for another half hour or so i look at my head to discover those settings.

i thought of this bass as a bit of a lightweight tonally, and i figured the first step was to try new strings, but it turned out all i needed was to adjust the amp's eq :)

2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I have certain settings I tend to gravitate toward. I don't think that's necessarily bad. But every now and then, especially if I've found myself fiddling with a bunch of small tweaks, I zero-out (or "noon") everything and make myself start over, EQing honestly by ear. Helps maintain perspective and keep me from getting EQ myopia.

Gearhead17 and pcake like this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    exactly! i tend to scoop so lots of bass and treble with less mids, but my normal settings didn't make the TB-4P sound its best. from here on out, i'll definitely start flat and play with the settings more.

Wisebass and bobyoung53 like this.
  4. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I always set up the amp for each specific bass. I never care where the knobs are relative to the bass before, only what it sounds like when I'm adjusting. I'll tape a cheat sheet somewhere if I need to use more than 1 bass at a gig so I know quickly where to set it.

5. I started doing that a while ago, makes a big difference sometimes to start out fresh.

pcake likes this.
  6. I am shocked by how food the TB-4P can sound. I got it to use when traveling, But I have been bringing it to gigs to use as a back up.

pcake likes this.
  8. Good idea. I've forgotten settings at a gig before...that can be frustrating.

pcake likes this.
  9. Iamgoodformetal

Iamgoodformetal

Apr 13, 2014
    Whenever I get something dialed in just right I make a point of trying it with other basses. Over time I've learned how to pare down my tweaking to just what I like to hear. I know pretty well now how to select equipment by specs, work with eq's, etc... that makes me more effective and efficient in the tech side.

pcake likes this.
  10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    If you use several basses - do what I do - I keep a small notepad that has the EQ settings for each bass that I play. Quick reference and your free to do just minor tweaking for your gig site. Saves a lot of time fiddlin' around with controls, especially with rigs that have lots of controls. :)

pcake likes this.
  11. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm normally a set it and forget it type of guy (lazy) but yeah, I need to start doing that since my arsenal is growing. Thanks for the heads up!

pcake likes this.