Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why it's important to get a DB teacher

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by jazzbo, Aug 20, 2001.

1. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Yes - the bow should be held perpendicular to the strings!

2. Where did you find a picture of my teacher?

3. Yes I would have to agree, he is really holding the bow wrong for a consistent tone. He also should step back about 1 or 2 steps and let the bass lean on him a little bit. He is never going to be able to finger notes if he is holding the bass up.

4. It's also a basic rule that the endpin shouldn't extend above your forehead.

5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    There is nothing wrong with this bassist's technique.

It is a rare but well-known method of playing the double bass known as doing a "69".

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You people are absolutely killing me. I posted this thinking it was painfully, painfully obvious, and yet absolutely no one, NO ONE!, has yet to mention that his freakin' pinky is not on the bow. HELLO?! Are you people blind?!?!??

7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    My god, you're right... :eek:
    Well, it would be easier to spot details like that if you hadn't posted the picture upside-down!

8. bullmoose

bullmoose

Jun 15, 2001
    Edinburgh, UK
    Forget bowing technique - where does he think his left hand thumb's going?

9. That's bow? I thought it was some kind of batton or poker; not necessariliy an inappropriate piece of equipment when using the 69 technique.

Has anyone seen the Levi's commercial with the kid playing the bass auditioning for the school talent show or something? Seeing this kid with a bass that could really pass for a HS bass and German bow, coupled with the sound really brought back some memories!

10. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Again, there is nothing wrong with this bassist's "69" technique.

The only problem I see is the fact that his bow is not in the right position with the f-hole.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That was wrong! :D

12. He should bend at the knees while lifting the bass violin to chin position.

13. *soundin' like Grandpa*

You kids and yer crazy ideas...

14. DAVEinRI

DAVEinRI

Feb 14, 2000
    Warwick, RI
    Thanks for the great picture to replace the boring Gollihur "bass in the garden" shot for my desktop wallpaper!

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That's how i started.

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

PORTRAITOFSUPERLOCRIANGRAY,

If you started like that on a BG you must have had pretty short legs at the time...how old were you?

17. Good one Fitzwallo.........

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You didn't think i was serious, right?!!

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Only as serious as JAZZBOJANGLES was in starting this thread. I may be old, but I'm not senile YET. :cool:

Was I saying something?