1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Jeff Berlin should be president of all music education

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by John Wentzien, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Yes to both points. But the golfers who rest their golfbags in the corner don't go on-line and discuss music as if they knew what they were talking about. Students of any subject ask questions. The old axiom "Shut up and play your guitar" is a good indication that playing (if one knows how) should suffice in the lives of anyone who states that they are musicians. If one loves music and doesn't know much about it, they still talk as if they know. Not everybody of course. In fact, I greatly appreciate the tone and nature of discussions here since you guys started ignoring the troublesome guys. This is turning into a cool hang. Has anyone else noticed this as well?????

2. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    There is a companion thread to this, seen it?:bag:

3. THAT is just great. Thanks for hanging with us, Jeff.
    I assume you'll be at NAMM. Where/when can I find you there?
    Will you record any more chord solo pieces- they are some of my favorite Berlin material.

4. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    No I haven't! Am I the anti-Christ over there?

5. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I am at DR Strings and Markbass. Plus, I am floating around as well! Danny Gottlieb are always looking for spots to play, but the NAMM organization dosen't like hearing music at the show and try to stop us when we set up.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That would be www.TalkGolf.com ....... ;)

7. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Jeff, it's quite amazing, there is a side that just doesn't get what is being said over here. The arguement is much like the Clinton, define "is". And huge arguements about the study of other musics being as valid as jazz. Artistically they are valid, but they are not as harmonically rich. Rants chord tones vs scales, how to choose a teacher.

Jazz is codified and there is a very easy system in place to understand Western music principles as used in ALL music based on harmony. Why is there such a strong fight against this statement? We are in a place in jazz where a simple chord symbol gives a wealth of information, to include scale choices.

8. Ironic, isn't it? See you at MarkBass. I'm Dave.

9. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    That's funny, thanks for sharing.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Wow! I was just guessing, I didn't believe there would be an actual site with such a similar name!! :eek:

:D

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Neither did I, but I had to find out! :D

On topic, this thread has been a very intresting read so far.

13. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Yep. Everybody has an opinion, it seems!

14. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Some guys make simple things difficult. And even when I suggested that they stop, they can't! Let's just keep things simple over here. Discussion, questions, musical things. Don't you all agree? It is so much nicer when we ignore argumentative guys.

15. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Such is life. :D

16. Trapezius

Trapezius

Mar 1, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    That's so funny. I wouldn't be surprised if that was just a prank, to test you or something, similar to what he did when Steve Vai auditioned. I've always loved his sense of humor. "Mistake".. yeah. :D

I don't really have a lot to add to the discussion, but I've read all of it. It has been highly entertaining, and I've learned a thing or two.
    Great to see you here, Jeff. Thank you for hanging with us and sharing your knowledge for free... most pros don't do that at all.

17. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    LOL says who? About 95% of what you say is being verified by discussion. If you take a look you will learn a thing or two about communication..........if you can be bothered.

18. Jeff, I am sure that you know immediately where every note on the fingerboard is. What would you recommend as an approach to learning this? I've been playing somewhat successfully for more that 20 years but I still have gray areas- for example I can't immediately tell you which note appears at the 10th fret of the D string. Instead I cheat, by referencing intervals. In my example I would look and say, "OK, well two frets higher is the D octave, so this must be C." But this doesn't work in a sightreading situation. Any tips?

19. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    So that all will know ahead of time, I won't respond to anything that Fergie writes or says after this, no matter how angry he gets. As I did in MySpace with him, I am blocking him over here. He can argue in his passive aggressive manner about simple musical issues elsewhere........ if he can be bothered.

20. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    A bassneck is learned when the need arises to do this. A bass is first and foremost, a note oriented instrument. The very first act of playing a bass is to play either an open string or a fretted one. If you read notes via great reading music, you will have a reason to place your fingers on certain frets. This automatically gets you to learn where the notes on the neck are, and what the note names are. P.S. You don't have to go about learning the neck this way. There's no reason to. Just read music and your fingers will automatically learn where to go. It's a win-win, with no hitches, no built in difficulties. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.