Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why L-2000 why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Dec 14, 2001.

1. why is does my L-2000 hiss very loudly whenever i put a 9V in it. It even hisses when in passive mode, if the battery is in it...but when i take the battery out...there is no more noise...but also no more active option :( . where is this loud hiss coming from???...i have not tested it outside of a BP-15 Squier bass amp.

can someone help?...ahem...nino....ahem!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It could be that you are picking up alot of inerference since the control cavity isn't sheilded.

Also, check to make sure you're using an instrument cable. If you're using a speaker cable, you can get weird noises like that also.

If you have a florescent light in the room that you're in, that might also cause it. They made my Sadowsky go nuts & that bass is SUPER QUIET all other times.

If you have a lot of things plugged into the same outlet as the amp. i.e TV, Computer, florescent lighting.

Another thing (very remote) you house might not be properly grounded.

3. it cannot be any of the things that you mentioned because i never had any problems with this til now...and i use a Monster Bass Cable (Prolink)

with a 9V in the bass...it's noisy in passive and active, and in active, there's a significant volume decrease...but with no 9V battery in the bass, the bass is dead quiet, and the active switch turns into a kill switch. ;) :(

the bass however, in it's hardshell case, tipped over on a hard surface, but i see no damage anywhere on the body or in the control cavity. I have yet to try it on the Ampeg and SWR at my church...i'll see what happens.

4. well i did it...i put a fresh 9V in the L-2000 and the hiss came back in passive and active mode (with a very very significant drop in volume and tone in active mode). So now, i think i may need to replace the preamp.

I need some preamp suggestions that would fit right into my L-2000's control configurations.

thanks! :)

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

While replacing the preamp is an option (somebody on the Dudepit replaced a non-functionial G&L preamp with a U-retro) have it checked out first. If it did not have the problem before it got dropped then it might be a simple & easy fix. A connection could have come loose, something could be in contact with something it shouldn't, etc. It would be a lot cheaper in the long run to get it looked at and fixed than replacing it. I don't think the electronic components are going to be "broken" from a drop. If something got shorted then something could have gotten fried but a tech should be able to tell you about it.

Then again if you've been wanting to change out the preamp and this is the perfect excuse, ignore this.

6. haha!...it's not an excuse!

7. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    How old is the bass? Don't G&L's have a 10 year warranty, I wonder if this would be covered...

8. if anything, i would love to have the preamp fixed, i'll take it to a tech and see what is up.

but the passive option in this bass is phenomenal!!!

9. you gotta admit, though...an Aguilar OBP-1 onboard preamp in an L-2000 would be amazing!

don't you think!?