Why Mark Hoppus should not be bashed

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mikey96, May 30, 2001.

1. I think everyone calling for for the head of Hoppus should cool off, I mean lets look at it, the guy may not be Les claypool, but he serves his purpose. Hoppus can:

1. Keep rhythm and stay in time

2. Write a song that makes sense musically, maybe not complex but none the less.

3. Sing while playing (at a speedy tempo none the less)

If Blink was really that bad they never would have had a contract back in the day, nobody could have predicted they would turn into teen icons they were far from it. Blink paid their dues can play well relative to their style, even though Hoppus is the least talented member past and present in the band, he does not drag the band down and can serve his purpose.

In conclusion I play everyday and consider the practice time I put in quality in different areas, and I can still not sing and play at the same time, and still not write decent lyrics to basslines I come up with, this is why I must consider Hoppus better than me, and I know he probably worked hard at his craft to get where he is now, and if he "sucks" to critics I must "really suck", and I dont think im THAT bad.
  2. well, that's true and i wouldn't just walk around saying he sucks. however most of the mark hoppus bashing on this board occurs when a newbie sez: "mark hoppus rules/is god/is the best bass player on earth."

when that happens, you just have to "educate" the party in question.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Every one of your favorites will get bashed at one point or another. I suggest wearing a thick skin.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i endorse this suggestion whole-heartedly.
  5. most definatly. I'm a huge Blink 182 fan. Mark Hoppus does deserve some credit. They aren't complex bass lines, I mean when you can be simple, yet creative at the same time, thats an art.
    "Dude Ranch" is my favorite cd, and "Cheshire Cat" is up there too. One reason why I'm such a big fan is their lyrics, some of them are totally moving (to me, at least). I mean, the lyrics to songs like "carousel" "peggy sue" "wasting time" "dammit" (just to name a few) are just friggin awesome. And IMO i like Mark's singing voice.

and by the wya Mikey i disagree about Mark being the least talented. I think Tom takes the prize for that. His voice live is pretty bad, and his guitar stuff isnt very hard (i play guitar too, and whenever our band plays a blink 182 song it took me maybe 10 minutes to learn it. But i do admit he is really creative on his guitar stuff, in a simplistic kinda way).
  6. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm not even going to make a comment......
  7. gazzabom

gazzabom Guest

Apr 9, 2001
    ....well you just did
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Well...no matter how much bashing goes on, you can't give 'em to much crap. After all, he's famous, he's out there playing huge arena's... and here you are posting on Talkbass.

My motto- If someone says "Any fool can do it!" The correct response is "Then why aren't you...and why aren'y YOU famous?"

So...go Mark Hoppus...I guess. I'm not a fan of Blink 182. At any rate, there's my $0.02...

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Mark Hoppus?
    ahhhh he's O.K.
    If you like root notes ;)
  10. Read my post root notes or not Hoppus does a lot of things that some people can not, so lay off the guy.
  11. I agree,he is pretty cool, even though he plays a pink P-bass(see rock show filmclip).He suits blink 182 perfectly.
    They dont need flash basslines to write good songs

As for singing and playing, it just takes practice. You have probably noticed that mark's basslines when he is singing are pretty straightfoward. The easier the bassline, the easier it is to sing and play.

12. have you ever heard "carousel"? That has got a sweet bass intro. There are alot of songs on that particular album (Cheshire Cat, not the Buddha version) that don't use root notes alot.
  13. Why Mark Hoppus shouldnt be bashed....

Because he and his band are famous and make more money than you. :) :)
  14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    just like madonna and britney spears, eh? don't bash them either.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I'll be honest, I've only heard buddah, is that the song with the power chord intro on bass?
  16. Well, Mark Hoppus is a bass player, at least. Madonna and Britney Spears just sing and dance.
    I saw Blink 182 live and they were tight as hell and put on a great show.. works for me.
  17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's fine. i just don't think having a record contract is criteria enough to absolve a musician from criticism, especially if it is deserved.

honestly, i am unfamilliar with blink's music, but every time i've seen pics of them they look like they're some big nickelodeon pr stunt, so that sets them off on the right foot from the start :D.
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    "just sing and dance"? Ever try it on that level?:D:D:D

JT's post was in response to Nomadic Herder's "Why Mark Hoppus shouldnt be bashed....

Because he and his band are famous and make more money than you".

That would put most "famous" artists off-limits... including Britney and Madonna. And Hanson, Menudo, boy bands, etc.
  19. mark hoppus=famous
    macool=not famous
    i must give the guy some credit for this reason alone. besides im guessing that he could probably play a lot better than he does in 182 songs. when one plays bass for that long you would have to eventually pick up some skill.
  20. by the way. whats blink 182s guitarists name?