Why??? Massacred Aria SB1000 on the 'bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Jun 20, 2005.

1. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    With no disrespect, a bass is a tool, one can use it the way they choose. If you love the feel and hate the sound, new electronics are the way to go. If it involves modification, so be it. If this sounds good, I don't care what it looks like.
  3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Looks aren't the issue. This person took what was unique about the SB-1000 (i.e. its centrally placed active humbucker) and made it just another bass. Kind of like taking the pickups out of a rick and putting jazz pickups in it. In doing so you take away what makes it unique.
  4. Why not put jazz pups in a ric? People do all kinds of crazy things to Jazzes and P's...

I agree with TPlyons...it's a tool

5. Oh my......it's almost "wish-like" now! :meh:
  6. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    But if you need a hammer, and the only tool you own is a rachet, do you still use the rachet to drive nails? No, you go buy a hammer. Or swap the rachet for a hammer at the local pawn shop. Why? 'Cause when you're finished driving nails with the rachet, it's no longer going to function as originally designed and will be pretty much worthless.

Plus, the Aria was semi-unique. Surely there were any number of cheep P/J clones that could have been purchased for way less than the Aria would have brought on the open market.......
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I saw that auction, and I agree with both sentiments, that it's a pity such a nice bass has been irreversibly modified, and also that ultimately, it's just a tool. Many of the fine Japanese basses of that era were considered of low value for a long time, so to many people it wouldn't have been a big deal to modify it to suit their needs.

It would also be interesting to see what the response was if it were say a vintage Fender that'd had a big hole hacked in it.
  8. I'd have no problem with someone hacking up a vintage Fender like that...but please....LEAVE MY WISHBASS ALONE! :scowl:
  9. +1
  10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    one thing to consider is the electronics on the early sb1000's were notorious for frying. That is why when one does show up on eBay it usually has had the pickup replaced. I have had the same thing happen to one that I owned. I wonder if that was the case here. Still SB1000 are few enough that if this person wanted a P/J fretless it would have made more sense to sell it and get another bass rather than greatly devalue the Aria.
  11. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm glad this thread is here cause it smarted seeing that poor Aria.

BTW, I am convinced that those mods were done in the mid 1980's as the popular thing to do in those days (apparently) was to put a P pickups right at the neck of a 1-PU bass. Look at the old psychedelic furs viedos. Tim Butler played a stingray with a P added right at the neck. Urg! But that sound-- very characteristic of the time. The uber-precision tone!
  12. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    That would be the Postcision tone.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  13. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    Oh! Try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitress!
  14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    While I know what you're saying, and agree to an extent, I guess it just makes Aria lovers like myself, Roger and Hammer wince.

If you had played an SB-1000, you would know what a totally unique sound it has. It doesn't sound like ANY other bass out there.
  15. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    Hear hear. BTW, dmw, I've got my 6th superbass on the way!
  16. Gawd, with the recent spate of threads around "OMG look at what they did to...", one thing has to be said:

Get a freaking life people. :rolleyes:

If that mod (which doesn't look badly done) causes this much outrage, you lot need a group counselling session. People are getting too precious about a piece of wood with 4 strings. If you lot put this much passion into things other than a bass guitar the world would start to be a better place.

Like Tpylons sed, a bass is a tool, unless you're a hoarder only out to decorate your wall and wank on to other people about your collection.
  17. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    Easy on the tone, dogg. I don't think anyone is that upset. I am reading this as more of a tongue in cheek "oh my, look what they've done" by enthusiasts. And I am undeniably the biggest old Aria Pro II enthusiast in the universe, and in universes not yet doscovered.

As for putting too much passion into a piece of wood and 4 strings, *** else would you be doing up here on the boards?

18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

$ 200.00 ??

hmmm , since it's so worthless now , maybe i'll buy it and spray paint it silverflake or purple ...
    also add lots and lots of decals !

just kidding ...
  19. Not that upset? Not judging from the previous comments.

And why am I here? A laugh at things like this mostly, sometimes a little bit of techy advice, mostly goofing off on the company's time. :D