1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why mix and match heads and cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowdownwalt, Mar 14, 2009.

1. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    i am into mixing & matching between heads & cabs. however i no longer want to mix cabs
    because, like Jimmy said it is really a crap shoot. Also, the eq setting thats best for one cab, may make the other sound crappy

if you are going to stack 2 cabs, i say find a cab that sounds good to you and buy 2
    of them!

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You finally upgraded to a CB mic? Good for you :bassist: ;)

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    why mix and match cabs and heads?
    Because a company that makes a head you like may not necessarily make a cab you like ,or vise versa.

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    uhhhh... the number of companies that design and test their gear to that high of a degree can be counted on no hands.
    however, Jim Bergantino matches every cab to the speakers, and vice versa.
    because of that, he's a great guy to buy a cab from. but he doesn't make heads :(

5. All my heads were purchased separately. I use PA cabs because they cost less.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    It's true that Mr. Bergantino doesn't offer amp heads per se, but his IP Series cabinets, with their built-in power amps & DSP tailored to the cab's drivers and acoustic properties, form an interesting and comprehensive approach to bass guitar cabinet design (an approach which has me looking at Yorkville Sound's NX55P and NX750P neo, bi-amped cabs).

Now if only Mr. B. would use neodymium drivers in the IP's as he does in his AE Series...

7. Well you could also ask: Why NOT mix brands?
    I don't think the head/cab tonal matchup necessarily has much to do with its brand. When you think about how many different flavours of amp come under the same brand, it's highly unlikely that every amp could be voiced perfectly to any cab in their own range.

Extreme example....: an Ampeg SVT CL matches better with a Berg NV610 than it would with an Ampeg Portabass enclosure. The 2 Ampeg products were designed for different applications and serve different tonal goals.