Why Monster Cable?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CROZ, Oct 5, 2000.

1. Is a monster cable really worth it? The difference between the resistance of a monster cable and a normal cable is neglible except for really long cable runs. I A/B'd monster cable vs. proco cables and there was no difference. At all. <p>
    Is it the placebo effect that makes people buy them? If you believe in it will it happen? <p>
    I personally prefer cable with all metal plug to the molded ends on the monsters because you can unscrew them and fix them. I know they have a lifetime warranty but It's not like a Sears Craftsman tool... you can't just bring it back to sears and get a new one instantly. You have to send them in to the company. You usually only have 30 days to return something to a music store, too. You're basically out a cable until you can get a new one shipped. <p>
    What do ya'think? :D
  2. Well, resistance isn't really the issue for signal cables.

Capacitance is more important for low level signals.

Yes, resistance matters, but not as much. Resistance is much more important for SPEAKER cables than for signal cables. But in signal cables, capacitance is really the issue, because having capacitance per foot that is too high will roll off the high frequency response.

That being said, I have one of those Monster 500 bass cables, and frankly I can't hear any superior tone from using it. IMHO they are good cables, but grossly overpriced, and they try to justify the price through voodoo marketing BS.

And as for repairing them, at least MINE doesn't have molded ends. They screw apart and appear to be fixable. But one of the things I keep hearing about them is that they do fail a lot, and then people take them back and get them replaced under the lifetime warranty.

Personally I'd rather use good quality cables such as the Procos that DON'T fail and have to be replaced. Having a cable fail during a set, it's small consolation knowing you can take it back to Guitar Center tomorrow and get it replaced. I need it to work all the way through the gig.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I only use Monster Cables for my speaker connections and they have been very reliable - they were recommended by everyone i I know. I don't get where they are seen as expensive though. I bought two at £13 each, which have performed very well for over year now. I have paid up to £60 each for leads for going from bass to amp, in the same period though, so the Monster Cables seemed pretty cheap to me!
  4. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I use Monster Cable for two reasons: reliability and lifetime warranty.

I've had very, very few Monster cables fail unless they were abused, e.g. getting slammed in a door jamb, or getting run over by a forklift, etc. I just take them back to Guitar Center ( always save your receipts) and walk out with a brand-spankin'-new cable! No hassles whatsoever.:)
  5. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Monster Cables are very reliable cables, but way overpriced.
    I've been using nothing but CBI cables for all of my amp, effects, and cab connections. I use the ProCo instrument cable with the silent plug for my bass connection. Never had one single problem with them. Fairly inexpensive and comes with a great warranty.
  6. IMHO, Monster cable, at least as instrument cables, are too much hype. From all accounts they're fine cables but no better than many other much less expensive cables. I've yet to try these but somebody at FDP recommened Wacky Kovacy cables. Pretty good prices if you get one of the package deals and they have a lifetime warranty. YMMV.

To me a warranty is worthless if I have to save the receipt, it just won't happen. I'll lose it and then there goes the warranty.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well in the UK, nobody is hyping them and as I said £13 is pretty cheap for a speaker cable in my opinion - about the cost of a round in the pub - what sort of prices are we talking about? I don't have (m)any cheaper options. Nobody else seems to be mentioning figures. £13 is peanuts for something that works for years with no problems and is guaranteed. When you are paying thousands of £ or $ for basses and amplification this seems to be a very petty thing to complain about in terms of price.
  8. A 21 foot monster bass performer 500 cable retails for around $50 US, where a 25 foot proco lifeline cable costs around $20 US. They both come with a lifetime warranty. It's a big price difference to me. If you added up the difference in price between all the cables you need for a band (patch cables, mic cables for the PA, speaker cables, instrument cords,etc) the difference would probably be enought to buy a whole new bass. <p>
    How much is 13 pounds in US currency? (Do I even have the pound symbol on my keyboard?) <p>
    Do you think they actually heard a difference in their test in BP, magazine? :D
  9. Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    Cables will change your sound - but if you use effects and/or noisy amps/cabs you may never notice it.

Cables used in music reproduction can get much more expensive. High-End cables go for $1000+ for 1 meter interconnects, and easily over that for 8 feet of speaker cable. But in reproduction the idea is to leave the source signal as pure as possible.

If you use effects, or overdrive your amp to get a better sound, or even play with your tone controls, you are changing your tone more than any cable will. The cable will add its own colorations to your sound, but they are likely to be small changes, and may go unnoticed in your sound. That's not to say that you won't hear your cable choice, or that a well made cable will last longer than a cheaper cable - YMMV. :)
  10. I recently had my Monster Cable go south on me during a gig. All the sudden there was a nasty screech- there was no strange movement or damage to the cable in anyway. I only had the cable for a little over a month and was amazed at the difference in sound the cable made. I will be replacing it- but if the replacement leaves me hanging like the first, that will be the end of Monster Cable for me.
  11. I've found that if you first freeze your Monster cable at below absolute zero for 21.785 hours, then boil it in Mama Friedland's chicken stock that it realigns the flux capacitance, and the improvement in sound is somewhat noticeable.

Besides, they have a lifetime warranty, so even if it breaks at every gig, it's a great cable, because I can just finish out the gig with a cheap cable and then go into the store the next day and get a new one.

Worth every penny, IMHO.
  12. I used to use generic music store instrument cables, or Whirlwinds, and they'd short out on me every few months or so. Two years ago, I decided to cut the crap and I shelled out the bucks for two Monster cables. I have yet to have any problems with them. They've already paid for themselves and then some. In my book, a trouble-free piece of gear is worth its weight in vanilla pudding.
  13. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    :pulls out scale and weighs vanilla pudding:

14. Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    I don't think a cable makes THAT much of a difference in your sound. As long as they aren't too long or aren't shorted out usually all cables costing more than 10$ are about the same.
  15. AHHA

Oct 16, 2000

I use them for my speakers cabs. I use Excalibur or Spectraflex for the Bass. There is no real noticeable difference to me, but no one mentioned what always happened to me in the dark. After most gigs someone or something would appear and take my Monster Cable away, never to be seen again. Due to the popularity they disappear, amazing but true. This seams to happen in the studios too with their directional Monster Cables. So be carefull of the dark. Vote: Bush
  16. sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    i tried that chicken stock trick and it only kind of worked. the cable turned into a fender American jazz, so i threw it away because it looked worthless.

that being said, i use proco instrument cables because of the noiseless feature (I change basses a lot) and i have an obscene gauge (8-gauge ProCo Guardian Fat Max) 1/4 inch to speakon (lol) cable. I'm getting a power amp so I think a couple more of these speakon-speakon would be nice
  17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Why Monster Cable? Because you're easily duped and have run out of other things to waste your money on.
  18. Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    I use Livewire cables. They're a lot cheaper than Monsters and still have a lifetime warranty.
  19. mustang-monk

Feb 1, 2008
    i sell monster AV cable where i work (i sell other things too) some of the HDMI and scart cables are like £100-120. its an great thing to sel along with a tv or Dvd player. they are good cables, great quality shielding, great connectors, lifetime guarantee, they really do test their cables we have a testing facility tour dvd at work and theres quite a lot they do to test calbes signal quality and durability. i think their Hdmi cables are worth it. some of their other calbe are a bit over priced. but to be fair people pay for other overpriced gear so why not cables.

NB: their connectors look cool too.
  20. ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    well hello 8 year old thread.