Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why my Warwick doesn't sound like a '62 precision..why?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Mar 16, 2002.

1. I play a whole lot of fat dub bass these days but need to cover a wide sonic spectrum our band only being a trio. I use both my Alembi-Wick (a Dolphin 5 w/ Alembic pu's) and my Thumb 5 neck thru. Both basses play like a dream and sound fine. the variety of tones for me is crucial.
    Ok...my dilema; I just went and tried some higher end Fender Precisions ('62 re-issue w/ rosewood finger board) and they all sounded so much "fuller" and "wider" than both my Warwicks.
    I am now trying to find a 5 string that would sound as warm, sweet and full as one of those re-issue Fenders. Is it the diff between passive or active? Bolt-on vs.neck thru? Soapbars vs. pole piece PU's?? What they heck?? Both my fancy-pants 'Wicks retail for around $3000....yet neither of them have that sweet and rich, full p-bass tone?? What 5 string bass could I get that would sound as lovely as that Fender P-bass? I like a wide string spacing so any of those Jazz basses are out of the question. The cheap Fenders really didn't have the sweet tone of the higher end ones. Is there a 5 string out there that will do this for me? I like five's for the spacing and flexibility they offer me....
    I always assumed my Warwicks were the "be all- end all" in my search for pure tone...now these Fenders have me doubting it.
    Suggestions....??

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  3. Phew...that's kind of a funky looking bass. Not that sexy, no? I guess that's the link I was looking for tho' so thanks. Any idea how those Fenders compare to the older (tastier) ones, sonically?
    Thanks!

4. i would say that its mainly the placement or position of the pick up, and maybe the p's are a split pick up, see on most new style basses the pick up is set more towards the bridge for i punchy responsive tone, but the p bass with the pick up more towards the neck you get that fat smooth warm sound.
    well thats just a thought anyway

5. I have heard that Roscoe basses have a P-bass like tone. Big and warm. Haven't played one myself, however. Just a thought of something you could try.

Geoff

6. Thanks..I was looking at those pretty hard yesterday. Passive=good, pole pieces=good, bolt-on=good...and a neck like a baseball bat. Even the Bass Player ragazine review talked of how tired their hands got after playing one. Still, looks like a great option. Anyone played one? Don't they have more of a J-tone than P? Am I going to get that huge, wide bottom on a J-style bass?
    What about modern basses that get that P-tone, Lakland maybe??
    Thanks guys.

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    You should considder a G&L L2500 if you need P tone in a fiver. That is my problem and soon to be the solution. They are supposed to get a great P tone out of the neck pup as well as many others due to it's duel hums with par/ser and active/passive switching.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/instruments.asp?prcode=l2500

I'm gonna order one the same as the example (blueburst with nat binding) soon only with a maple board.

9. Wouldn't I just get a Roscoe Beck 5? The RBV is passive and has a ton o' switching options....close to that G+L maybe?

10. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I've never played a Lull but I can tell you that Mike Lull has a great reputation for building fine basses. I'm sure there are some Lull owners on the board here so hopefully they'll chime in.

11. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you like the 62' P so much, why not just get it?

12. Re-read that first post...I really dig the wide-flat neck and flexibility that a 5 string can give you. I just want that same sound as the '62 P-bass; a pipe dream I won't deny. Those re-issue Fender's sure are cool with the metal bridge +PU covers! I may have to buy one yet...

13. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Why not the RB5? The G&L has a better neck (2ply laminate) and to me better pups with an undenyably hotter output. Plus I like the looks better, and qual. control is more consistant than at fender.

Edit: and the RB5 doesn't get a P tone (ask bgavin) whereas the G&L supposedly gets closer?

14. Hmmm...I have heard this as well, thanks. I kinda like the looks of the RB5 over the G+L...sorry!

15. Well, a P-bass does have a nice fat tone that works well in a wide variety of contexts. I am very familiar with Mike Lull instruments as his shop is about 10 blocks away from my parents house in Bellevue, WA. As far as a P-bass tone in a 5 string, the Lull P5 is a very good way to go. Making only around 300 instruments per year, he has much better attention to detail and consistantly great soudning instruments. Anyway, if you are looking for a modern sounding instrument that can also do a good old-school P-bass vibe, IMO my Roscoe does a good job. I had an active/passive volume pull pot installed. Passive, with the neck PU soloed, the bass does a very good P-bass imitation and also offers a lot of flexibility if you are a one axe kind of guy.

-Chris

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If you want a P bass tone, get a P bass, its that simple. Others may sound similar, but none sound Identical to it. Perhaps the MIA P Bass DLX would have what your looking for.

17. You had an active/passive pot installed in which bass? The RB5 is passive..is the Mike Lull P5 not as well? Your comment is it in a nutshell, thanks. "Modern sounding instrument that can also do a good old-school P-bass vibe" That would be it...in a 5 string! You are saying either the RB5 or the Lull...? Mikes instruments seem very hard on the wallet; worth it I am sure! Thanks for your advice! Any more you've got with your experiance with both basses I'd listen to.

18. "Modern sounding instrument that can also do a good old-school P-bass vibe"....in a 5 string config! I tried some of those fancy pants Fenders and their sound was rather weak in comparison to the older P-basses (the '62 re-issue..)
    Thanks..

19. Sorry for the confusion in my last post. The Lull P5 by default is a passive instrument with a volume and a tone pot though he lists a 2 band aguilar preamp as an option. He runs a custom shop though and I'm sure he could accomodate your needs. Most of the time in his "modern" instruments he uses a Bartolini TMB preamp with either a 3 position mid switch or pull pot on the midrange control. He always puts a active/passive pull volume pot on his active basses. Anyway, yeah, they are pretty expensive. I would keep an eye out for a P5 or PJ5 used as they can go as low as $1250 or so.
    As far as my bass goes, I guess I was confusing as well. I have a Keith Roscoe bass, not a Fender Roscoe Beck bass. http://www.roscoeguitars.com . The Keith Roscoe bases are not going for a vintage vibe like the Lull's, but like I said, they can sound suprisingly old-school and well as doing the modern thing. They too are expensive but you can save around $1000 buying them used.
    IMO, The Fender Rosce Beck bass is really meant to be a more flexible 5 string version of a vintage Jazz bass, not a P-bass.

-Chris