Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why my Zon clips my Pre?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElephantTalk, Nov 4, 2005.

1. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I am running an EA Iamp600.
    I play a Zon Sonus 4, Yancey 4, and Benavente 6.
    All things being equal with settings...basses set flat, EQ set flat on head, I'm only adjusting the pre-amp gain and the amp output.
    The Benavente sounds weak and clean, but it never comes close to clipping the pre-amp of the head with the Pre-gain maxed and output set to noon.
    The Yancey sounds clean but can get dirty as I increase the pre-gain with output set to noon.
    The Zon sounds clean, but it easily gets dirty and starts to clip the heck out of pre when I increase the gain to around 11:00.

Why does the Zon clip the pre-amp so easily?

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The Zon Sonus 5/2 I had for a while had a gain trim pot in the control cavity. I think that was one of the "polyfusion" preamps. It could get VERY hot if you cranked it.

It sounds like you are overdriving the input stage of the amp, and if you have that trim pot, backing off on it a little should clear things up.

3. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Sounds like the Zon pre is just hotter than your other basses. Start with your amp's volume off, and adjust the gain until it just begins to light the preamp clip slightly on your hardest attack. Then bring the volume up to the desired level.

You might check inside your cavity... some Zon pres have a gain trim pot. If it does you can lower it's output to match your other basses. Otherwise, you'll just have to adjust the gain on your preamp for different basses. No biggie.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Some amps also have an input stage before the "gain" knob. In that case you'd need an input pad (or "active" input) to tame the signal.

5. Yeah, it seems hot to me as well.

Were you starting off this test with your bass volume cranked or at 50%?

These days, I've been dialing in sounds by starting off with my bass volume at @ 90% up and then I mess around with my signal chain settings up until clippage begins.

6. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    try running each of your basses into the board and isolating the level so it shows on the led's. Then adjust the trim pots so they're more or less equal...that'll do the trick.

RC

7. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    Most of the time I start with the basses at 100%.

The Zon doesn't allow that much. I figured the pad on the input was going to be necessary, but I'll check the bass out for a trim pot.

Thanks for the advice.
    -ET