1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why name son after dad but not daughter after mom?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Mar 15, 2008.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Why are there sons named after their father but no daughters named after their mothers?

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Some daughters are named after their mothers

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm named after no one. My dad's name is Malcolm, mine is Andrew. There is no Andrew in my family tree, nor any family or old friends named Andrew. :meh:

I have an older brother named Tristan, again, no Tristans that I know of.

My sister is named after my mother.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

I don't know any girls named after their mothers. I assume it's pretty rare.

Either that or I'm just not very observant about such things.

5. My sister is named after my mom, who was named after her grandma.

lowsound

6. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Everybody, boy or girl, should be named Bob. It would end a lot of confusion.

Anyway, I wouldn't want my daughter named after some slut who got herself pregnant...even if it was her mother.

7. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I think it would be less common because the full name will not be carried on after marriage.

8. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

how obtrusive.

if I carried the inherited name of my dad, it would bug the hell outta me. Mostly because I have nothing in common with him, and really don't want anything to do with him (he's an egomaniac asshat).

9. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I got dad's surname, my sister got mom's surname. Ex. Chris Hansen Gear, then sis would be named Margareth Gear Hansen :p

10. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    My wife was named after her mother, but legally changed her name a few years ago. (switched middle and first names) She kept her surname when we married, and our kids are hyphenated.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Your mom was named after your mom...

12. ohhhh DIS!

13. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I never really got why people name their kids after themselves. Virtually nobody does it in this part of the world, but I guess in other countries and continents it's a tradition to do so. It's quite common though to name your kids after your parents (mostly as middle names) or grandparents (also as first name).

If I ever get a son, I should perhaps name him Viking. It's the middle name of one of my grandparents. Or then not... :)

14. I think this practice is more common than you think. A friend of mine carries her family name and it is her intent to pass it to her first born daughter, if she has one.

Mike

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    'cept he isn't talking about a family name. He is talking about first names.

16. Me too. I assumed in the case of a female that the first name was the "family name", thus the comment about the first born.

Mike

17. I know one family in which one of the girls is named after the mother, as the oldest boy is named after the father.

I guess the mom wanted equal time.

Personally, I don't believe in naming kids after the parents, but that's just me.

Mom, dad, sis and Bob are all palindromes, and nobody can argue with that! :bag:

Mike :D

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    ?
    How could you assume that if the first name is the person's ...first name, and the last name is the family name?

19. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Viking....cool. My singer unfortunaly had a son that died just a few weeks after being born...however his name is Connor Oden Jay Martin.

Otherwise I had have an X girlfriend who was named after her mom, Shirley. Was quite confusing when they worked together.

20. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    In my extended family there are more daughters named after mothers than sons named after fathers.