1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why no 35'' scale 5 string Sadowskys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CliffD, May 1, 2010.

1. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Hey Roger and crew,

I recently email Roger about this and thought it would be cool to post my question here in the new forum. Why is it that Sadowsky Guitars doesn't offer 35 inch scale 5 string basses? Thanks!

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I asked Roger the same thing years ago while visiting with him in Brooklyn. I was just curious more than anything because I prefer 34 inch scale. He told me he has built prototypes and the such and nothing he built sounded the way he wanted his basses to sound. Simple as that. Im sure if he reads this thread he'll add some more comments

Rob

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    IMO/IME, Roger's basses are proof positive that a 35-inch scale DOES NOT mean a better B string. I"ve had MTD/Roscoe/Modulus/etc and IME the Sadowsky B is equally massive-sounding with a clear pitch fundamental. I think building quality and the regidity of the neck has much more to do with a good B string then does an extra inch of scale length. That, and the 34 inch scale is much more comfortable for me coming from a Fender background.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The quality of the materials is more of a factor to the Low B than scale length. Sadowsky B kills because the materials are beyond excellent..

5. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    I concur. I was in disbelief the first time I messed around on the B strings on both my Sadowsky basses.... insanely good feel and sound! 34" scale just feels way better to me, anyway.

6. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I had a Modulus 5 string in the early 1990's with 35" scale, just couldn't make it mine. That extra inch bothered me, even though I play a 42" scale on my upright, it's just different. Didn't get another 5 string until last year, then got my Sadowsky 5 and the B string leaves nothing to be desired. It sounds and feels fantastic. Whatever Roger did design wise works.

7. Because 35 sucks.

8. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Hey Cliff,

Why in your opinion would Sadowsky need to offer a 35" scale instrument? Do you feel that the current design lacks a good B string, or would you like longer scale length because you are used to 35" scale instruments?

I'm glad Sadowskys are 34" scale, which is certainly what I'm used to. I'm not sure if I necessarily like the extra string tension associated with some 35" scale instruments.

9. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I have two main issues with 35" scale. First, it is not a magic fix to create a tight B string. I have seen many 35" basses with B strings floppier than ours at 34".

The other issue is tone. When I did prototype 35's many years ago, I felt the bass became more "generic" sounding and lost a lot of the tonal character I am used to hear in my basses. Finally, I especially disliked the sound of the G string in the upper register. At 35", it starts to get nasal sounding to me.

There you go!

R

odarellmc likes this.
  10. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for chiming in Roger. I have owned a number of 35" scale basses over the years and my biggest complaint has been your last point. The G string on most of them ends up sounding very "tinnie" and nasal. And, I too have seen many 35" scale basses with a "floppy" B that did not sound good at all. I still do have one 35" scale bass that has not exhibited this behavior as much. But, it is a rarity. There is much more than scale length that goes into the magic of making a B sound good.

11. In other words

:p

12. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Believe me I have no opinions on changes Mr. S (school of rock!!) should make to his instruments. Without a doubt I think Roger and crew are creating the most thought-out and well produced fender type instruments on the market hands down, I owned a NYC JJ5 for about a year and absolutely loved it less a few personal qualms with the bass, the most prevalent being the scale length and the chambering in the body. I wouldn't say the current design lacks a good B string, but it is the one area of Roger's design where I questioned his motives, hence the question.

13. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Thank you Roger, I appreciate your time!

14. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    :p
    Says a builder of Sadowsky Guitars

15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    And yet I bet that EVERY single Sadowsky owner here would back him up.
    :D

Try it, you'll like it.

16. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    +1

Great basses! I don't see how you can improve it by going to a 35" scale.

17. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    True, but they don't come with master grade flame maple tops, black hardware and all that NYC shop goodness. ;)

18. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Please send him my best regards.....he makes a great acoustic!

R

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

+1000

I had no problem playing my 35" scale basses (Modulus, Lull, MTD), but I prefer the slightly more traditional tone of 34", and as noted by others the 34" Sadowsky B is as good as any. I suppose the B string on my old Modulus Quantum 5 had slightly better clarity, but that bass had a very modern tone across all strings, no doubt because of the graphite composite neck. I *much* prefer Sadowsky.

20. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    R basses are rosewood/alder
    M basses are maple/swamp ash

Roger