why no backing during bass solos?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Sep 8, 2005.

1. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I've never seen a band back up a soloing bass player, but during a guitar solo its is requierd for you to "help out" but then you play YOUR SOLO and everyones like "You're on your own." I don't understand this. Why are we left to fend for ourselves. I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I always hear you don't have backing and that's just stupid(IMHO). What do you think?
  2. Well man it really depends on the style of music. In many jazz situations certainly the whole band drops out and you are on your own. But fusion bands are something esle entirely.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It comes from tradition. Back in the days of non amplified upright basses, in order to hear a bass solo, the bass had to be... solo. Some have just stuck with that tradition. In a rock setting, a guitarist usually doesn't know what to do, because the groove falls apart without the bass.

I don't like bass solos.
  4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    I think Matt's right.... rock guitarists generally don't know what to do:

A. if they're required to play anything at a volume below completely deafening

B. if they have to do something that doesn't rely on them being the centre of attention

5. I've heard bands where the drums will lighten up and the rhythm guitarist will turn down, click on his wah (thus freeing up the bottom end) and lay down a funky groove for the bassist to solo over.

Sounded cool IMO. Then again, I've heard some killer drum and bass solos too.
  6. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Check out Tribal Tech, Weather Report, Return To Forever, Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life, John McLaughlin's Que Alegria, for starters. Although fusion oriented, they feature some fantastic bass solos, usually with the full band supporting it.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A lot of the time, people feel like if anything but drums plays during bass solos, they're going to step all over the solo and drown you out, so they'll drop out. Personally it's fine by me. I don't need them intruding on my 3 seconds of fame ;)

A funny story...we used to have a sax player who just didn't care who he stepped on and had no clue what was going on around him. We were doing a song that had a bass solo, and after about two bars, I hear a sax note, then it stops, then it starts back up. I shout to him to stop, and he looks at me like, "You could hear that?"

After the set, I said, "Thanks for ruining my only solo." He says, "I was just tuning. You couldn't hear that." I said, "Then why did I hear it?" He says, "Well, I turned off my mic." So I said, "And I suppose that the other 12 mics up on the stage couldn't pick that up, right?" He says, "Oh, I didn't think about that." So I got really mad and said, "That's because you don't think about anything except yourself!" He said, "That's not true...I tuned in the same key!"

8. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Would you really want guitar playing through your solo?

Oh yeah, moved to Misc.....
  10. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    If that wasn't so true, it would be funny.
  11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Personally, I don't care for backing during a bass solo. I don't want my solo be like the guitar player's. I don't want guitar, keys or anything else there to mess up what the drummer and I are groovin on.
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That is because bass solos by and large are annoying.

It pains me to say this, but I would enjoy listening to the average drum solo, before I would enjoy the average bass solo.

And I hate drum solos to my core.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd rather have something else take over the low end when I solo, not because I stay up high, just because it's nice to have a full sound to play over, just like everyone else;)
  14. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

My guys certainly come way down for my few (one) solos and basically just comp, reinforcing the rhythm. IMO, in most settings, bass isn't a solo instrument, except for those special moments. It's not like you get a solo in every tune, like a sax/piano/guitar. I don't like soloing much myself, although I like to hear one when I'm listening.
  15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    When in doubt, lay out................that's what alot of your fellow bandmates are experiencing....DOUBT!! In some situations you've got to let them know what, if anything you want to help complement your solos. If you are in a band relationship communication is paramount so let them know what you think sounds and feels appropriate, have them try it out and then come to a consensus if it works well or not.
    In a jazz setting some chord players, and even drummers will sit out. Alot of good pianists and guitarists will musically step to the side and sort of "feel things out" and sometimes provide some harmonic support to help build and climax the solo....if our(my) intonation is not to poor, or we(I) am not scuffling in some other key......SIDE NOTE:if you hear anybody playing the melody during your solo YOU ARE MOST LIKELY LOST!!
    During pick-up gigs your sort of left to chance the first time around, but don't be afraid, after the song, or set is over, to let them know that you like some harmonic content under your solo if that's what you want, but you've got to FEEL OUT THE SITUATION. Some players, especially if they are better than you, or you are just a sub, don't really think that it's always appropriate for someone else(us) to tell them what to play, even if it is our solo. Believe it or not, I happen to think that in some of situations, they are dead RIGHT!!
  16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Don't let them have all the fun!

Whammy set to 2 Octaves Up, compressed distortion, a couple of wanker effects and some guitar skills and you can put out one heck of a bass solo. :bassist:
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The reason I like playing Stoner rock is because the "solos" are all based on what Geezer and Tony Iommi had going on. They would both solo, Geezer more subdued, and it gave it this crazy feel. I try to incorperate that into my playing instead of "soloing." And due to this approach my band has asked me to play "flashy" more often. I only do when it feels right though.
  18. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Just rerecorded my solo in one of our songs for our new disc this past weekend.

It has and always will be backed by the full band. And for the song and solo it's necessary. There is a drastic tempo/feel change in mid solo that I couldn't carry alone or with drums only.

It just depends on the music.
  19. I know I am going to get flamed for this but,

I really hate bass solos... :D
    ... and guitar solos

Actually i usually don't care for any solos except in "classical" music...
  20. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Actually, you can find a lot of other instruments soloing without others backing....take eruption for example...