Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why no bids for this P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by byrdsfan, May 2, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
  2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Because it's a 'foto flame' MIJ bass. The neck and the top are laminate. Nice basses, but worth more like $500 tops....or that seems to be the going rate anyway.

Interesting fact: If you look on the neck of any Japanese Fender 'foto flame' bass or guitar you'll see the Hambugler's face.

3. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Uh, Japan made.
    Laminate? It's not wood? or is it just the finish?

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

It's wood, but they overlay a very thin laminate over the top of it to give the look of a 1/4" maple cap. And to make the neck look like it's highly figured. Again, they are attractive, but probably not worth what the seller is asking.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's not a laminate. It a Figured "wood" is a Photo hence the name Foto Flame.

They are very nice basses & pretty well made & IIFC, I've seen them sell for about that much recently

6. Not all of them have the Hamburgler's face, at some point this was found and changed.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Iv'e seen a MIJ jazz with the foto flame for 499.00 in a music store, I was totally unimpressed with what looked like wallpaper on wood! looks eye catching from far but upclose looks like ass. And to top it of it was only in the front!

8. True, I´ve seen a few Photo Flames that were like that. But OTOH, if it looks good from audiences point of view, that should be good enough, right? It´s not like people are going to climb on stage with magnifiying glasses to inspect your bass... :) If you can personally live with the "fakeness", they (like most MIJ basses) are solid and cost-effective workhorses. After all, the Photo Flame finish doesn´t affect the sound or playability in any way. And chances are nobody else will know the truth, unless you tell them...

But of course I understand that many people are disgusted by the mere thought of a photo finish. It´s a pretty cheesy concept after all...

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Right...and how do they get the photo on the bass? They laminate it :)

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Good catch. I gotta be careful with my 'any' and 'all' sweeping comments hehehe :p

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It's not a laminate of wood, it's a laminate of a picture of wood. :)

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Wallpaper!

13. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I want to see this Hamburglar thing. Is it on the bass that byrdsfan posted? There's a pretty good pic of the neck in the auction.

:bassist:

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a foto flame P bass and most people who see it up close believe it is a veneer. The photo covers the top, the neck and the headstock. I am not a fan of foto flame, or flamed maple in general, but good P basses are hard to find here.

Hmmm, I think I see what you mean. I can see a face anyway.

15. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    *beats the dead horse*

Should have clarified...the body and neck are WOOD but with the photo laminated over the top. The laminate is not wood, but a photo :D

*kicks the dead horse for good measure*

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    LMAO!!!! :D