1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why no Fender Fretless 5??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MoEllis, Sep 15, 2008.

1. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'm not one of those "fender is the god of basses" type people, but i do like the sound, feel, and versatility. But my one problem with Fender is there's no fretless 5 string option. Does anyone else feel like it would be nice to have a fretless 5 in the fender line up? :bassist:

2. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    I think its because they are big enough that they don't care to expand or try anything new. Just my HO. Same reason they don't do exotic woods or anything different since the
    60's.:bassist:

3. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I bet they would make it, if they had a fender artist that wanted one. Just like the vic bailey jazz bass has exotic woods. I guess i'll have to be one 1000 recordings and tour with some big names before I can ask them lol

4. IIRC they used to offer it as an option. If they didn't sell many it would make little business sense to continue.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Fretless don't seem to sell well. Most bassists IME are afraid of them.
    :D

Given that, I think a five would sell better than a four. I don't know the actual reason behind Fender not doing it. I don't recall ever seeing a fretless Fender 5.

6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Expanding on that a bit, I think it has to do with the transition from guitar to bass (both electric). It's and easy jump if you have frets to guide you, just the scale and gauge of the strings are immediately different.

Fretless is a different instrument and some excellent rockers have made them sound practically indistinguishable from their fretted brothers (or sisters).

Drawing on my own experience, I'm coming up on 6 months with a fretless after decades with frets and realize how far I've come and how far I have to go (and therefore maybe a good reason to be afraid of them?).

7. Goatman

Goatman

Aug 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I would buy a 5 string fretless J or P in a heartbeat (with epoxied neck, of course). Throw some flats on it, and I think that would be a *perfect* bass for reggae and jazz.

Someone tell fender they need to get a little more experimental... and with more than just their color schemes :p

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Whenever Fender tries something new, it usually fails horribly. Its all your fault.

9. All - Your - Fault....

How could you...:crying:

10. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    personally i think a fretless bass should be distinguished as almost a completely different instrument... esp w/ the "muah" factor, it can be so much more expressive than a fretted bass.

11. I would buy a 5 string J if they offered it. I recently tried a Victor Bailey fretless 4 and thought it was awesome! That model in the 5 would make for a nice fretless.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I have a fretless 50th Anniversary Jazz Deluxe V that I bought from another TB'er earlier this year. I don't know if Fender offered a fretless option or not, but if it was defretted then it was a pretty good job.

13. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    can you post a picture of it on here please? i think thats pretty cool that you have that lol

14. If they offered a budget 5 string fretless, something similar to the Squier FVM Fretless, I'd be def interested.

15. Evan_S._Brown

Evan_S._Brown

Jan 10, 2008
    here is my 50th anniversary USA jazz V fretless,
    I had it defretted by my local luthier, its a great sounding bass.

+1 on fretless five being a pretty small target audience.

This baby has been on the bay quite a few times with no luck

Attached Files:

16. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    does it have a nice "muah"?

17. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I'd love a fretless Fender V!

I'm gonna buy a Deluxe Fender Jazz 24V and have the frets pulled.
    That's the only way I can go I guess.

18. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    yeah, it sounds like its the only way.. cept i'm partial to an ebony board.. that would seem to be an expensive mod :meh:

19. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I never noticed this fact before. Kinda crappy there Fender. That would be a sweet bass. I agree about defretting the 24 fret 5 string. I would have to find a used one...I don't think I could do that to a brand new bass.

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I thought they made a fretless 5 Victor Bailey?