Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why no Fender Geddy Lee 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Apr 21, 2004.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I am getting a craving for an inexpensive J style bass to go with my beautiful new Nordstrand- if i get called on a poolside gig in 115 degree Vegas weather, you know i ain't bringing this piece of art!!
    so, I decided to go on a hunt for a Jazz five ( i am a 5 string player since '83) and i love the Geddy Lee's looks- so I looked for a black J5 with white pickguard, Maple board with black block inlays and binding.
    No such animale anywhere , that I can see... so the thought ocurred to me.. if Fender made a Geddy Lee 5 string Jazz bass, it would probably sell very well... am I alone in this thinking? why doesn't Fender do this? :meh:
    anyone know who makes a "Geddy Lee 5 string"?

2. thank you! :bawl:

edit:
    usacustomguitars can do all but the binding. they may be able to in the near future but i was informed it may caost as much as the neck itself. they outsource their block inlays and it takes a couple of months (for those of us who are impatient!) ;)

when you find one bro... order two! :D

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yeah!! Furio and I will take two!!! :hyper:

4. I'd like to see a Geddy Lee 5-string too, I would also like to see lakland offer the Darryl Jones bass in a 5-string model. it seems kinda obvious for lakland since they make such nice 5ers. Fender put out a 4-string Roscoe Beck sig, so a 5 string geddy could be foreseeable.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll take one too! I love my Geddy 4 banger, but I prefer to have the low B at my disposal. If I had a Geddy Lee 5, it would get equal playing time with the Nordstrand, the Zon, and the Cirrus.

6. this is starting to look like a petition! :hyper:

7. ...Well if I were Geddy, I'd just have Fender build me one.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    you payin' attention, Fender??........

no, I didn't think so :rolleyes:

as i was telling Furio- i may have to just get a 4- if i find a good deal on one - but i want 5 !!!!

9. Oops. My bad. Well in that case Geddy might have to use 411 to get Furios number first. :D

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've been chewin' Tommy's butt for months to be able to do necks with blocks and binding!!! :( I'm still hopeful that it will happen one of these days, but one never knows. Outside of going the "parts" route, I'm not sure if there is a mainstream way to get what you're looking for. There are plenty of guys making high-end jazz basses that would nail the vibe and tone you're going for, but it might cost you more than you'd want to spend for a back-up bass.

11. geddy and i were discussing this very matter the other day, but he said he'll leave the realm of 5 strings to me.... oh wait, never mind. it was just a dream i had. :ninja:

yeah jpj, tommy wrote me back and told me the deal on the binding. usacg is dang close to having everything needed for this little project. the binding was not a deal breaker for me, but man is it sharp!

out of curiosity, what kind of pickups would you guys run with? how about active/passive? i know the fender geddy is passive. (i had one) :bawl:

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Jay, i put in a call to Tommy for this very reason today- but he was busy and was told he will call back- whne he finds out what it's about, he may not!! ;)
    That's just it- i would love a Fender Fender, and a 34 in scale , and a price tag under a grand!

13. If there was a production Geddy 5 I will most certainly purchase one post haste!!

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    see my avatar :eek: :D
    i was thinking passive

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Nino-brown could build a great copy of it, I am sure! He basses are great, and the work is great. Support TB, buy from our local luthiers. The only difference would be no fender logo, and no geddy sig on the back.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    cool, but where would nino get the binding?

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    He gets his necks through warmoth, and they build to suit for the most part. Nino really takkes a bunch of parts, and makes works of art.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Warmoth does binding, but I don't think they do it on 5 string necks. And they don't do black blocks.

19. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Kind of off topic, but do you guys think that there will ever be a 6 string Lakland? I have e-mailed Dan about it, but I never got a reply.

And yes, I have seen the guitar, so no wise-cracks :)

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...but Ken Smith is.:)

You guys should get a KSD 5. I know I will someday.