why no Jazz [DB] forum? np

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by olps, Jan 1, 2002.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    as I said... np
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

There are those who argue that the entire forum IS a DB Jazz forum. I never bought it, but there are those who argue that. I always thought a theory forum would be a good idea, but it never caught on either.

If you get a chance, be a sport and fill in your profile. :cool:
  3. A jazz forum, by its very openness, would produce much heat and little light.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, please, sir.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably for the same reason why there is not pUnK rUleZ[BG] forum.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually I seem to remember that in previous versions of this board, that there was a Jazz forum on the DB side - I expect Paul can confirm.

There was also a Pro forum - I asked the guy a few questions - which was run by a Pro who asked for questions on Jazz DB.
  7. Really no need to limit the forums, take me, I play HipHop on my DB with my gay bow, really no need to read about the jazz guys.

8. You are one great instigator, gruff.
  9. I like to think of it more as a "the year 2001 in review" post.
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There isn't sufficient traffic on the DB side to justify another forum.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe if there was a separate Jazz forum, it would get more traffic! I know that there have been a lot of discussions which have involved Jazz on the BG side - about how to play it, Jazz chord/scale theory, how to construct walking lines, recordings etc.

I often think it's strange, as the players mentioned in these discussions are invariably DBers. I think that people don't pose the questions over here as there is no obvious place to go and they see it's quiet, so feel intimidated. (I mean, some of the questions on the BG side are so "Stoopid" that nobody's going to feel intimidated about mentioning Jazz!) If there was a Jazz forum and a few debates/questions had already started, then I reckon this would be quite a popular area.

A lot of the (more experienced?) BG players are Jazz fans and I'm sure like me, they would appreciate a place to share stories, questions, knowledge etc, with those on this side of a similar persuasion.
  12. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think it would be a cool idea. Although I kinda think of DB misc. as the jazz forum.
  13. OLPS

Purchase a copy of Gary Peacock's Homespun video "The Acoustic Bass". Watch it eveyday. All your db jazz itches will be scratched.