Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why no love for SG style basses..ESP in particular?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bumperbass, Jan 22, 2013.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I started to wonder about all the reasons there's not much love around here for the SG-EB style basses.
    My first bass (1968) was an Gibson EB-3. I loved that bass. Nevermind the short scale, as a LOT of guys were using them back then. Our guitar player had an SG Standard and it looked pretty cool.
    I understand the neck dive issues with the SG long scale. I've played a few Epiphone EBO's, too, so I understand not liking that too much...(kinda cheap feeling and I hate the location of the strap button??), and long scale is pretty much the norm these days for bass. I prefer long scale these days as well.
    I see the ESP Viper 414FM is on sale at Hello Music for $398. I don't know a lot about these basses. I don't prefer active pickups, but the strap button is in a sane place.
    So, there's ESP. Then there's that insanely priced Warwick model, which is WAY too expensive. Why have so few manufacturers decided not to manufacture an EB-3 long scale style bass?
    It was such an iconic shape back then and to me it still looks contemporary.
    It's my opinion that a manufacturer could sell an SG style bass if they could find a way to:
    1. cure the neck dive issue
    2. be more creative with pickup styles.
    If I could find an SG bass with no neck dive and either a single coil P/U (or two) or even a split coil, reasonably priced, I might go for it.
    So, my question is, why aren't there more choices for such an iconic style bass such as these?

2. bassalien

bassalien Commercial User

Feb 24, 2012
    Illinois
    Owner, Bass Alien
    Just FYI, Warwick has the Jack Bruce Made-in-Germany (Signature Series) and MIK (Artist Series). The Artist Series is more affordable. I think it's a cool shape! I totally dig it.

3. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I checked that out. It's about 9.5 lbs (3.9 kg) and it's about $1500....WAY too much money for a MIK bass. Sweet looking, though. Heavier than an SG style bass needs to be, IMO.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I absolutely love SG guitars, it's probably my favorite shape. I've got an SG Standard.

SG style basses look kinda funny to me, though I'm not sure why. I had one for a little while. I wasn't a fan of the balance. It didn't dive all that much, but it was more neck heavy so it didn't balance very nicely. The tone really left a lot to be desired for me. I found the pickups weak and undefined.

5. lolmont

lolmont

Jan 2, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd love a SG bass or EB3, underrated bass in my book.

6. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I'd buy a Gibson one in a second if they made them in normal scale.

7. I have recently grown to like them. I grew up on 70's rock and always was a fan of T-bird basses and Les Paul guitars but didn't care for the SG. I have a Gibson Flying V bass and have found that I actually prefer it to my Fender Jazz. I have been thinking about buying a guitar to mess around with and you can get used SG's for under $500 so I may just bite on one. I like the basses but they are too much money for me to justify a fourthbass that likely sounds like the Flying V.

8. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    My favorite, too. Three different bands I was in from '68 to '70 had SG's. The fit, finish and QC on those guitars was incredible. My Dad also owned one briefly with the Maestro tailpiece and the tremelo. The old folks he played with ribbed him about it so much he got a 4" thick Epiphone Broadway. I was in shock.

9. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    I HAVE THE EB-4 RARE LONG SCALE MODEL!! I LOVE MINE!

10. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I would, too IF they weren't too expensive. They'd need to find a good price point. They'd also have to do something about that Mudbucker, which has no highs above about 300 Hz (<< joke, but you get what I mean).

11. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    How's the neck dive thingy?

12. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    "The EB-4L was Gibson's first production long scale bass and was very much an attempt to bring the EB-O series into the seventies. It sported a 'superhumbucking' four coil (one per string) pickup, a long scale maple neck, and tone selector switch. EB-4L Gibson - 1972-1979".

I had no idea they were produced for 8 years.

13. hsech

hsech I'm not old, I'm just seasoned. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I have a Gibson SG Reissue and I love it. The short scale is great for us old farts.

14. Blackjax

Blackjax

Aug 10, 2012
    North Idaho
    I love the SG style. Picked up an ESP LTD Viper 404 from a TB member as my very first bass a couple of weeks ago. It's beautiful and inspires me to play in a way that the more common styles don't.

To each their own.

15. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Am I the only one who thinks that the Jack Bruce looks a lot like a Wal?

:bag:

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've noticed that too.

17. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    Epi EB-3 fan right here. I bought 'Christina' a couple of years ago and she's become a bit of a fixture in my main band.

- you can't argue with that tone.

The main complaints I tend to see are mud, particularly in the neck pickup: a fair criticism. That 'bucker's going to give you a thick, bass-heavy tone. It's an acquired taste. (Though it does make the high notes sing beautifully!)

And of course weight/neck dive: yes, there's a lot of mahogany in there. And that neck sticks out a long way. Again, it's an acquired taste and probably helps if you're quite tall / long-armed to play one comfortably. You will need a good, comfortable strap. And strong shoulders.

I think the point is, they're not for everyone. To be honest, you'd be surprised how much flak more popular Gibsons like the T-bird receive on some threads here.

18. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Feb 7, 2011

Attached Files:

• sg.jpg
      sg.jpg
      File size:
      108.1 KB
      Views:
  19. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I just don't dig their sound, Jack Bruce sounds great with them but I sure don't. I love their aesthetics though.

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Short scale for me does not work, especially for rock.
    I had one years ago and tried one recently, no way.
    34" scale for me.