Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why no more effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Why don't we see more effects than the basic wah, phaser, overdrive, synth, chorus? Are there any pedals that step away from the norm?

2. Most of them cost a lot of money, but what ever happened to setting all the controls to max and swapping pedals around? No one experiments with what they have.

3. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I tried an experiment with an effect called "invader" that's on my vocalists Digitech vocal effects pedal and mixed it up with an Ebow. Man is that erie sounding alot of howling. It's a great ambient effect.

4. But, on wacky effects, I've been looking for an effect that turns Oscillation into a Signal-To-Noise output.

Layman's terms, the harder you hit, the faster it goes!

5. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    It sounds cool but how the heck would someone achieve that?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think they've pretty muched maxed out effects that are "musical" the way we know the word musical to me. But boutique builders are still putting out wacky things, but mainstream effects, IMO, will almost always be limited to what we have now.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Moogerfooger MURF? That's pretty "new"

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ask and you shall recive...

http://www.fxdoctor.com/opto.html

9. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Oh man the MF105 is AWESOME!

10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I think the answer to your question is that no one has discovered any new electronic principles or invented any entirely new electronic components in a while, so no one has any new design elements to work with.

I agree with the guy below, we have plenty of effects, I think the better question is why haven't we heard any radically different uses for them in a while.

11. endlessbassic

endlessbassic

Dec 23, 2004
    The first part i agree with.. the second, however..

http://www.4mspedals.com/triwave.html

Pretty off the chain, if you ask me..

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Two words: Ring Modulator.

The weirdest noise I've ever heard! Very good for an eerie sort of sound.

Graeme

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    How about that Robotalk Arpeggiator?

Or a Boss Slow Gear?

14. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    You need to meet the Lexicon Vortex.

15. I would like to see soem crazy pedal that when turned on, it has every effect ever concieved on full. I wouldn't use it and it would sound crazy as sh*t but hey, it'd sound better than a wishbass.

16. i think its best if they don't put out any new effects considering we have enough already to use. Like the bass itself we have only begun to find these effects fullest potential. I would deffinatly rather hear someone use a flanger in a totally different way than for someone to fiddle around with some effect that can only make telephone noises those kind of effects turn me off on the whole experimental music thing. sure its experimenting but its not contributing to the music at all IMO effects are suppose to give some sort of life too the music. I see people using goo gobs of effects all at once and it sounds terrible. If you need that many effects to sound good then your either not cut out to be a musician or you need to practice alittle more without pedals.

also try instead of buying new pedals figure out a way for a pedal you already have to substitute for that other pedals role in the music. in my mind switching things around and finding a way to do more with less is what experimenting is all about.

17. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  18. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    That's really cool. I can't wait to hear a demo.

19. whoa! that's a lot of knobs!

20. Mode Soundworks has ceased operations as of 8.9.05.

BEAR