Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why no overseas shipping?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ras1983, Jun 16, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    why is it that most sellers in the states won't ship their second hand gear overseas?(mainly australia). gear is literally half the price than it is here, sometimes less. you americans can charge double what your street price is and it would STILL be about 25% cheaper for us aussies. :rolleyes:

so, i ask you brethren, why no overseas shipping? :meh:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    because, for me, to use the USPS (the most affordable shipping mechanism for overseas) is a major pain in the tuchus. The one near me doesn't open until 9am during the week, and is only open for four hours on a weekend so it's always a zoo. With domestic shipping, I ship Fedex/ups and drop off at any location.

Even with FedEx / UPS, there's filling out customs forms and the occassional instance of getting slapped with brokers fees that the recipient decided they didn't want to pay - while it is the receivers responsibility to pay, the seller is liable for it in the event of non payment. That's happened to me enough times that I just won't do it anymore.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I know from direct experience that Bass Central ships to Australia (I worked there for 4+ years). I believe that several other online retailers do as well (Bass Northwest, Bunny Bass are two I'm relatively confident about).

Also, while we (at Bass Central) would ship small items USPS, we refused to do so with larger, more expensive items. The problem is that once the item leaves the US Postal service, there is no guarantee of tracking! We actually had a Lakland bass going to Italy, that the customer INSISTED on our using USPS, disappear. Trust UPS or FedEx for medium-sized stuff (bass guitars), and for larger heavier items we had wonderful luck with Burlington Air Express (www.baxglobal.com).

Good luck!

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I used to work at FedEx as a courier. I found the necessary Shipper's Export Declaration paperwork for Australia to be nearly incomprehensible to the average person attempting to ship to Oz. I spent a lot of time doing it for customers as a favor, but I worked a rural route where I could make the time to do that sort of thing. In many cases, you're on your own.

In training, we spent at least one whole day learning export paperwork. Lots of FedEx people didn't actually learn to do it correctly even so, and the average Joe has much worse odds. I think my wife still has to audit international shipments that go through her station, because having to deal with customers who get their shipments returned for bad paperwork is not a happy scene.