Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why no sheet music archive?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paz, Aug 21, 2005.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    well i was thinking just now about the lack of a sheet music archive, why does talkbass not have one. i mean tabs arnt really that good for learning songs so why not have sheet music aswell?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Commercial sheet music is considered copyright material.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    What about transcription that we do ourself?

I think that could be a great idea if it's legal of course

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think there still might be legal issues if you aren't the composer yourself - Paul has mentioned this several times before as a non-starter for TB - if you do a search through this area, I can remember it coming up more than once before?

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Transcription of somebody's solo or bass line is fine. Transcription of a melody is the same thing as posting a copy of the lead sheet, it's publishing copyrighted material without obtaining rights or paying royalties.

6. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    ok i understand what your saying, but isn't tablature copyright material? after all its basicly the same thing, whats the law on that?

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Tablature does NOT violate copyright in that it is not a readily playable representation of the melody. It's a geographic map on a fingerboard of where the melody notes are, but contains no information about how they sit rhythmically in time. A melody is specific pitches with a specific rhythmic value.

Review copyright law; plagiarism does not occur until you have written the same pitches in the same sequence with same rhythmic values through the downbeat of the 8th bar of a composition.

8. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    ok what about tablature which denotes rhythmic changes underneath the tab?
    overall, i dont think anyone would be stealing a song if they had sheet music for it, they just want to learn the song.

another question, what about classical songs from hundereds of years ago, doesnt copyright end after 70 years of the composers death. surely no one could own copyright of beethoven tunes.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well it's not a moral issue about stealing - it's about Paul not wanting to get caught up in a lawsuit!! ;)

TB takes up enough of his time already!

10. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    ok i kinda understand but what about classical tunes?

11. Bruce Lindfield

There is still copyright - if I want to study or play the score of Mahler's 6th Symphony , I have to buy a book from a shop - just because Mahler is dead, doesn't mean I get his music for free! :meh:

12. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    ok then bruce, i still think its kinda dumb that someone can own copyright of a dead composer, but hey i'll stop moaning about it :crying:

13. Bruce Lindfield

I have bought quite a lot of sheet music, but was really interested in getting a copy of the score of Olivier Messiaen's Turangalila Symphonie - but I haven't found a version available for less than about £100 !! :eek: There's a lot of money in copyright and I can quite understand that those with the rights, will prosecute if they see it flouted...:meh:

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    While the copyright issue is definitely a non-starter, it needs to be said that text based tab takes up a lot less server space than images of, or files, sheet music.

15. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    £100 man thats a rip off, i mean for a piece of music, gimme a break. well it looks like i'll be reading tabs for the forseeable future

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    why not learn to play the piece by ear?

it will take longer, but it will make you a better musician.

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Composers deserve to make money from their music. Right?

Also; when a composer dies, I believe the money goes to his/her estate (or whoever purchased the rights to the music). When they die, why shouldn't their family still be able to generate an income from it?

I know there is a lot of classical music that is "Public Domain". I'm sure there's a database somewhere on the Internet.

I agree with CLAY. Transcribing a tune is a valuable skill for a musician. You might go bald from pulling your hair out, but it's worth it.

Joe

18. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    yeah i agree composers deserve money for their songs, but not £100 for a few bits of paper, cd prices are high enough already.
    tho learning a song by ear is definetly the way foward

19. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I understand your point; however, I don't agree that a musical composition is "a few bits of paper". A good and well received composition can change the life of the composer.

Some people go to a store and purchase a little piece of paper with scratch-off spots on them for as much as $5 each. A select number of these expensive bits of paper end up being worth thousands or even millions of dollars.

Know what I mean? Maybe that's not the best example, but you know what I'm getting at, right?

Joe

20. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    lol, u know what i mean tho, in the end of the day all it does comes down to is a few bits of paper with writing on it. even if it is the most amazing piece of music ever i dont think it is worth someone having to pay a load of money just to look at.
    mate, an original piece of music actually written by wagner or mozart, yes thats worth money!
    a photocopy of wagner or mozart, no i dont think u should have to pay a load of money to look at it