Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why No Sound Clips?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Mar 14, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Why don't any pickup manufacturers give soundclips of just what the pickups sound like? The closest thing is basstasters.com, but they use preamps for everything and have a weird way of testing them.

Why can't companies like SD, EMG, and Bartolini have sound clips where all types of pickups are tested through the same bass (or similar wood) basses? That way we can tell the difference between pickups. The only way to be sure what a pickup is going to sound like is to buy it, which is certainly not a good option for the vast majority of bass/guitar owners who can't simply solder and install everything under the sun.

-Eric.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    seymour duncan does do this...

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I'm pretty sure they do, but I can't find them on their site. I'm sure I'm not looking close enough. But if they do, then great. I hope I'm not alone in assuming sound clips would be great.

Not exactly what I was talking about, but some people might find this (http://www.altguitarbass.com/basssounds.asp) useful.

-Eric.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I personally have not found those sweet solo tones to be of any use for anything other than soloing cause they don't work to music well. Tones that work well to music suck solo(discounting the additon of effects) and wouldn't sell any pups. Pups that put out good solo tones unaided typically don't put out useable tones to music - at least in over 50 sets of pups I've played. In addition there's a myriad of variables that will alter the tone of that pup - one you mentioned (preamps).

The most useful information I know of in selecting a pup is feedback and reveiws from other players who've had the pup. Aside from TB, there are a number of reviews on the net on any given pup - especially more popular models. Bragnet, harmoney central, bass player mag among others. A general conclusion can be drawn from a handful of reviews. And that's about as close as you'll get cause till you stick them in your bass, through your rig, to your tunes, to your ears, through your hands, wherever it is you play them, you won't know what you've got.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    One good reason is that people will tend to rely on that sample as the DEFINITIVE sound of what a pickup would sound like, which would not be accurate at all. The sound of a pickup, in that instance, would be impacted by the type of recording made, the type of bass is was used in, the woods used to make the bass, the player who is playing, the style played, and the quality of the sound reproducing equipment used to play the audio clips. For ME, those are just WAY to many varriables. Granted, I also understand that one could argue that any clip or audio sample would be better than none at all, but the differences are just too many.

Basstasters is a great way to go about it if you're looking for audio clips....this way you get a sample from one players opinion, listing the equipment used, recording methods, etc. It's a great guide, and has been extremely helpful to a lot of TBers, but I wouldn't hang your hat on a recording made for the sole purposes of determining the true tone or impact of a pickup. The varriables are just too great, and I belive that manufacturers (rightfully so) would be worried that those examples would be viewed as the definitive tone of a particular pickup, which just should not be the case. Use basstasters.com, but also take into account the many written descriptions here at Talkbass and other forums and review sites....you should be able to see trends. ;)