1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why no sticky about P-Bass P/U comparison?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bumperbass, Jun 27, 2012.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Hi TB'ers.
    I'm looking to upgrade my stock MIM P-Bass pickups. I see there is a sticky about J-Bass P/U's but none about P's. I have searched for pickup information and at most I get chunks of information that's hard to put together. Since I don't have the money or time to experiment, I'd like to look at some sort of comparison chart about the differences.............
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders
    '62 P
    Dimarzio
    Etc.
    If there is already a thread on this, can someone point me to it?
    Thanks very much.

2. I've seen a lot of posts on the subject, but it really would be nice to have a compilation of some sort.

My $.02 is that the Seymour Duncan Basslines pickup is one bad mofo. I don't exactly have extensive experience with P basses, but I do really love them. Anyway, every time I go to a music store I play them, and I happened upon a Highway One that had one of these in it. Dude, yeah, I'm definitely getting a P and slapping one of these in it some day.

3. I personally am using a kent armstrong VPB in my Parts P-bass and I dig it. Mind you, I'm really not picky. I'm curious about how changing the pickup to, say, a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder, would change the sound, but at the same time I really don't have the kind of cash lying around that would make such an exploit all that feasible.

4. back2thefuture

back2thefuture

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin
    check out the Lollar p's. You won't regret it.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    For me, Lindy Fralin P-bass pups are where it's at. Lovely vintage tone with great definition and clarity.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    and that's why; P-basses are easy :D

(it's the fralin for me, too)

7. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    I've searched for comparisons of the Lawrence/Wilde P-46 to others but have only found scattered and vague references. I'd love a sticky, too.

8. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I know what references you mean, too, which makes it hard.
    1. Pickup 'A' is hot with a pronounced growl when pushed hard.
    2. Pickup 'B' has a classic sound (what does classic mean?).
    3. Pickup 'C' has good output and cuts through the mix.
    I'm not saying these aren't terrible posts, but they really aren't a comparison.
    At least if there were a sticky, we could read through all the posts and get an idea in our heads what these pickups may sound like.
    Right now I'm thinking I'll buy the 'Original P-Bass Pickup (also called '62) but I have no idea how that will sound compared to my original 2000-era MIM P-bass.

9. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    Another vote for sticky.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Someone really ought to go ahead and try out a whole bunch of different makes of P pickup, then post their impressions in a way that is of great potential use to the rest of us with our wildly varying tone goals. You know, like SMASH did to launch the J sticky?

Don't look at me, though... my search has ended with Aero. ;) :bassist:

11. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
  12. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Great find and very helpful!
    A pity that it wasn't the same bass line played on all examples.
    Much to my surprise I liked the Aero (whihc I've never heard)best

13. If you haven't already decided, I recommend the Nordstrand NP4. I replaced my MIM P-bass stock pickups with a pair, and I love them. They give a great classic thump with a slight modern edge. The pickups added incredible depth and clarity to the tone of my bass. Don't take my word for it though, you should look at this: http://ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3672. It's a comparison of a bunch of P bass pickups on a single bass. It really helped me decide what I wanted. Unfortunately, it doesn't have Lollars or Lindy Fralins, but I'm sure a TB'er who uses them would be willing to send you a recorded.

14. Wow, what a GREAT comparison! There are so many superb sounds on that page. I guess it's not for those prone to regret, or who truly believe there is only one. I bought my Fralin based on sound clip comparisons, and a phone call to Lindy let me know I wanted the 5% overwinding. I'm happy. If I were to buy one today, it might be an SGD for all the wiring options, but I'm perfectly happy with the Fralin, and won't change it. I got a Bart 8S on a bass I bought through the mail and hated it. I listened to the clip and still hate it. This page could save folks a lot of money.

15. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    I'm looking at buying some SDQP for P, I have them for J.
    I use to have a Mark Hoppus Fender with them in, but can't really remember what they sound like in comparison with the stock P I have now.
    I did make a comparison recording for the J version on here, but I'm sure they sound nothing like the P version.

Oh and yes, I vote for a sticky for P's as well.

16. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I find many stock Fender P bass pups to sound very similar from my 1960, a few 70's and a 2012.

How about this for another research post; what tonal difference are you looking for from stock and what pup helped you get there?

Some of my goals were much easier to achieve with amp EQ with a P than a J.

17. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Good question, Jim C, and I might add....very mature.
    I PERCEIVE that the stock MIM pickups from the early 2000's were not as good as the MIA or even Japanese PU's. In reality, a pickup is a 'relatively' easily manufactured item that's been modified to death over 60 years of evolution. I may be way off base here; in that they might be good enough to do the job. I ordered a set of Original ('62's) Fender since I have the bass apart already for shielding and a pot/jack replacement. I got a wonderful deal on it. I figure that after I get it all back together it WILL be a simple graphic EQ adjustment to get a sound I like.

18. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    If I may add some info to list of pickup sounds I posted earlier - Seymour Duncan SPB-1 sounds very much like Fender Vintage P. I upgraded to one couple months ago and am very happy with it.

19. I just bought a second SQ series Squier P. It's gonna wear rounds so it'll definitely be a different pup from the one that wears flats.