Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why no Unlined fretless Lakland Skylines ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Folks,

This question has passed through my mind more than once - I'd especially love something with an unlined MAPLE fingerboard - say BG or even a JO 5. Can we get a pressure group up and running for Skylines !

I dare say if you order a USA model then these custom options could be carried out at a price - just like the black blocks for Mr Clayton of U2.

How much would an unlined fretless neck go for ?

I dare say if you trusted your local luthier you could get him to rip off the fingerboard and replace it with an unlined new fingerboard in the wood of your choice - but that would be risky......

We can but dream !

Bill

2. why not get a maple fretboard one and de-fret it, then fill the slots with maple? i was thinking about doing that on mine, but i have to sell it now :crying:

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might be able to get one through the Dude . . .

As long as you found 29 other like-minded friends. :D :bag:

IIRC, they make up Skylines in batches of 30 or more. The Dude has done a special limited edition before. In fact, I think they're pre-ordering a limited edition Bob Glaub with block inlays, binding, and a single Dark Star pickup in place of the Fralin right now over at the Dudepit.

Unfortunately, it's probably tough to get together enough people to agree on the specifics -- color, neck style, model, etc. to get an unlined-fretless special edition together. In fact, I imagine getting people to all agree on the same option is a little like herding cats. :D

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IIRC, all the fingerboards are slotted by machine and they're filled with lines from there. In order to make a board not slotted, they would have to deviate from the norm.

5. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    There simply hasn't been enough demand. Get ~30 people to agree on specs and then it becomes much more possible.

6. I think what you are asking for is basically a custom option, and the skyline is more of a production run Lakland. It would probably be like asking Fender for a custom option on a Mexican made Jazz.

If you combine what tplyons and djcruse has said. You would have to get enough people to want that option (a committed purchase) in the U.S. series in order for them to change their production. Then it might become an option for the Skyline. The only thing I saw on their site was a lined ebony board.

This of course is just my assumption. You could always email Lakland. Tell him what you have, and what you would like to have, or have done to your Skyline. The worst that he can say is no.

7. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I don't think you're quite understanding what I'm saying. Unlined fretless is already an option for most Lakland U.S. basses. There is no change in production.

Unlined fretless on a Skyline, however, would require getting ~30 people to agree on a model and specs to create a limited edition. This is similar to what's going on at The DudePit currently.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Go find 29 friends and I'll see what I can do.

9. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    You would be very hard pressed at this day in age to find an unlined maple board as an option on a production bass. For the most part maple has to be treated somehow, or it deteriorates quickly with fretless use.

10. How close in spec would the basses have to be - I understand that the necks would all have to be identical but could there be a slight variance in the body colours - i.e., some sunbursts and some blacks for example or even a mix of body shapes - some JO and some 55-01/02?

Personally, I'd love a sunburst 5-string Bob Glaub with an unlined fretless maple fingerboard - can't see that happening in a hurry though as there is no 5-string BG :mad: - or is there ?

Would have to get the maple fingerboard treated a la HG Thor.......

So, the body shape to go for would be a JO or a 55-01/02.

OK - so I start a thread on here and the Dudepit forum ??

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I doubt Dan would even do it even if you can get 30 people to agree on model at this time. They're swamped with orders. I'm already pushing the envelope right now with the Dude Pit Limited Edition Glaub with Dark Star project I currently have going on and have 16 more to sell so I'm not in a position to tackle another limited edition run at the moment and behind that I have the Lefty's after me for a 30 unit run of Skylines if and when they can ever get 30 of them to agree on a model.

I know several people who have taken their Skylines to a competant luthier to have them defretted with great success.

I think that's the easier way to go myself.

The limited edition runs I've done so far are all for 30 identical basses down to color. The first one was 24 pieces but the minimum order requirement went up this time around to 30.