Why not a FENDER RB5 in black

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I called Fender and ask them why dont they make the Roscoe Beck in black, its a common color and they make their other basses in that color??? here's the response I got back

"The artist who the bass is made after determines what color the bass will be sold in, we cannot just make a Black RB5 unless we do it custom, then we would have to change the Name and a few other things so it would not be a RB5 per se, but something close, the artist just did not want it in black"

I thought that was king of odd, since black is a common color and Kool at that! but...if you are MR BECK, and you have the rep/quality/chops that he does, and Fender wants to endorse you, then what he says, is what goes :meh:

MR BECK, if you see this, Please consider black, if just for a proto-type, does not hurt ot ask :cool:

does anyone have all four colors of this bass??
    1: candy apple red (I do)
    2: shorline gold (I wish)
    3: sunburst (I wish)
    4: teal (hmm)
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Interesting. I was just thinking about this today. An RB5 in black with a tortoise shell guard would be killin!
  3. That would match my bathroom...
  4. I saw a G3 video during Eric Johnson's segment where Roscoe played a white RB5 prototype with tort guard. It was a beauty. Too bad Fender doesn't offer that color too, or a maple fingerboard, for that matter...
  5. There is no reason why you couldn't get one refinished in the colour of your choosing.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love bassic (sic) black. I wish I had a black RB5. I own half the colors: metallic teal (it's ok) and shoreline gold (very cool).

Actually, there is. The reason I haven't refinned my teal RB5 to black is because of the matching headstock. Teal headstock + black bass = ugly IMO.

The red, gold, and blue RB5's have matching headstocks. I was tempted to get a sunburst RB5 just so I could refin it in black (would look fine with a natural headstock) but it's not worth the money and effort.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why can't you refin the headstock as well?
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like the decal. My understanding is that Fender is very picky about giving out replacement decals.
  9. Ah well... can't have everything I guess. :)

I know decals not sourced from the original company are somewhat frowned upon, but on an original Fender, I can't see any reason not to use a replica decal.