Why not a Mesa Boogie Bass Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbajo60, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I mean... I had a little time on my hands, and wandered over to the BassTasters preamp site... and thought that the Mesa Walkabout soundclip really kicked it! I used to own a Mesa Buster! combo and thought that the front end off of that baby would've made a great preamp too!

So why won't Mesa issue the front end of the Walkabout (or the Pulse, for that matter) as a separate preamp?

That would sell like your proverbial hotcakes, IMHO!

Imagine... you could (with sufficient fundage...) own a Walkabout Scout for small gigs, and be able to utilize the same front end in your "rack 'o doom" for the big gigs too!

Isn't one of the TB forum members here a Mesa employee? Ben Strange, I think? Chime in if you could, please!
  2. The day Mesa comes out with a seperate pre will be a glorious day indeed. That's the reason I bought an M-Pulse 360. Love the 5 band semi-parametric EQ. I'm going to get a good power amp soon and run it into that. If they ever come up with one I might consider buying it.
  3. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I may be wrong but I belive there was one around when they made the Stratergy series of valve power amps but then again I can't be sure.
  4. Mesa doesn't outright make a separate preamp for bass, but their (discontinued, I think) TriAxis preamp for guitar has been used by many a bass player as a preamp for their rigs. Bruce Gordon of I Mother Earth uses a vintage SVT in the studio, but a TriAxis coupled with a Carver power amp when he plays live. There are some people on BGRA.net who have used the TriAxis as their preamp as well. There's *five* tubes in that baby! They still sell for over $1000 CAD on eBay; keep looking and you're bound to find one. Just be prepared to pay for it...

5. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Yeah, IIRC I'd heard of the Triaxis being "modded" for bass... but I think that the direct simplicity of a Walkabout/Pulse/Buster front end (whichever route Mesa would decide to go if they did do this) would be very appealing to many of us.

I'd still have my Buster! combo if it weren't such a bear to lug around! But I'd happily rack up a Mesa preamp based on that same circuit!

Hmmmm... imagining that tone through my Stewart 1.6 and two Acme B2s!!! :D
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I actually saw a used TriAxis earlier this summer in, of all places, Hong Kong! I think it was selling for about $1000, but I didn't really bother to calculate the cost more than a general area...
  7. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Mesa probably makes more money by putting the preamp in part of a more expensive package.
  8. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Probably true.

It's just that, from what I gather, so many of us TB'ers prefer to push more than just 700 watts (which I believe is Mesa's highest powered bass amp power section).

I think if we had the option to marry that Mesa sound (the one I heard on the Basstasters site) to one of our high-powered amps of preference, we'd make those Mesa comptrollers very, very happy! :D

And, darn it... isn't life all about making other people happy? :smug:
  9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8