1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why not a qsc Ksub

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by knuckle, May 17, 2011.

1. knuckle

knuckle

Mar 4, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    Getting 2 K12's tonight. Had another thread recently on the K12's.

Our band is
    1. Me guitars / vocals
    2. Bass player, upright / electric
    3. Cajon player (drum box)

We're definitely getting 2 K12's but the bass player is all over the place with what to get as far as a bass preamp. He's peed off about the tone of his upright and is contemplating all sorts of preamps.

Now we were originally going to get a QSC 18" powered sub, but due to cost, we're considering the Ksub instead. I've heard folks say that this is not optimal.

But we're not a metal band. Why would a sub with 2 12" drivers not really work? We're an acoustic band. I tend to think it will be fine.

What do the experts think? I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to sound.

Thanks

2. I don't know anything about the Ksub per se, but I've had great success with a pair of 2x12 subs before; we pushed 'em hard and they still sounded great. Also the 2x12 subs are much more articulate than 1x18s at lower levels IME.

3. knuckle

knuckle

Mar 4, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    Thanks man, anybody else? :bag:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    are we really looking for articulation from subs, though? articulation comes from frequencies that are higher than sub frequencies.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Whoom Whoom Whooom with no definition vs full spectrum of sound.

I have a K-series PA with a K-sub. Playing just through the Ksub would be horrid.

6. Two K-Subs????
    Good Lord.
    One is going to be MORE than enough for what you guys have.
    Those are some great sounding and loud subs.

7. knuckle

knuckle

Mar 4, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    No no, 1 Ksub, 2 K12s, , presonus 16.0.2 mixer soon and eventually a DBX.

He'll be through the board, not directly in the sub. If I said that, my mistake.

8. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    i would think the two k12s will give you all the low end you want.

try the set up first before you go off and spend the extra dough on subwoofers.

9. knuckle

knuckle

Mar 4, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    Sounds good man, thanks

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    1 Ksub and two K10 or K12's is the typical setup.

As mentioned above... 2 ksubs would be overpowering IMHO and you'd need to dial them back on their back sides.

I believe a K-sub has a single 12" driver, but they work tremendously well and even better paired with K speakers. I personally preferred K10's with Ksub, and the K12's alone in Low mode.

11. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    You will prob be just fine using the K12's with the "deep" switch engaged. Have run a Roland electronic drum kit thru them with no sub and sounded good.

12. By articulation, I meant that when someone hits the kick drum, the subs go 'THUMP' instead of 'WHHOOOMF'.

13. We use a pair with the K tops and they sound great. Nice casters, relatively light. Highly recommended!

14. Yes go with the tops first on deep ...

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    tops + sub will always kick ass over tops alone (as long as you don't mind buying and hauling the extra stuff).

one small sub would be more than plenty for acoustic stuff like you're talking about.

the question then becomes, "what if we expand?" if you went to a real drum kit and electric instruments, would you wish you'd gotten one bigger box like the KW sub (1x18", 1000W) instead, or would you spring for another of the smaller ones?

if you got the bigger one, would you want to drag it to acoustic gigs?

all worth thinking about while making the decision.

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've used this setup...

WE run a sub (not a QSC)...

Depends if the bass has a low B...

I'd start with a deep setting.. then see how much you're missing...

There are other subs that may be a better option.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had a couple EAW SBX-220 subs (212s rated at 1,400 watts each), and they're the best sounding subs I've heard. However, whatever sub you get, you still need to run the bass through the mains to capture the overtones that are the basis of your tone. I play most small gigs in my acoustic trio going direct to the board and into a pair of JBL PRX 612Ms with no sub support. At low to moderate volume, it sounds great. Outdoors we use a PRX 512S sub.

18. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    With the Fat Channel on the Pre Sonus, there honestly is no need for a bass preamp. There is SO much shaping ability with that board and the K12's.;)

19. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Got to hear the K series 18" front loaded and the 12" bandpass today, playing well known recorded music. I was not at all impressed with the quality. Also heard the 10" top. It would be pretty good if they'd get rig of the very bothersome peak in the upper mid/lower treble.

20. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The size of the driver/drivers is only one part of the equation so it's of no practical value to say 18's are good and 12's are bad or vice versa. What really matters at the end of the day is how a particular sub sounds when matched with your top boxes and what kind of SPL levels can be achieved before things get messy.

The K12's are great sounding top boxes. The K-sub 2x12 sounded good to my ears at moderate volume but surprisingly bad when pushed.