Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why not ask the experts

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tronictq, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Hello all!

Well, I am simply put, more or less a "begginner" bass player ( a relatively young one at that also; 16 ) in respect to what music is, and what can be achieved and also how deep it is. I have been playing bass for 14 months(BTW i love it ), but piano for 7 years. I know prob up to Gr 2 theory. My question for the experts regards double bass of course, would it be worth the money jumping from my little inexpensive bass guitar that i currently have to a double bass? Or, learn how to play fretless bg? I am more or less just looking for opinions here, the way i was thinking was going is to learn the fretless first, then a couple of years from now get a db. I know that it wouldn't be a waste of money if I did get a db now, because i am not at all prepared to quit bass! Great great musical instrument, and a good challenge. Now I am yabbering on, but anyways, I'd appreciate it if some of you "profressionals" responeded and tell me your story, and what you would do if you were me.
    BTW i am extremely serious bout this...... so.

Thanks guys/girls

-Tronictq

2. If the doublebass is what you ultimately want to play, buy a realbass as soon as possible. Aside from usually being tuned the same way, the realbass and the (ahem) bass guitar have little in common. Playing bass guitar or fretless bass guitar will in no way prepare you for playing the realbass. There will be no money wasted.

3. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Thank you for your reply..... and yes, of course the "realbass" as you call it, is what I ultimately want to play. Expensive though. Need to get a job lol :)

-Tronictq

4. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    You may be able to rent/borrow a bass for little or no money from your school. Failing that, call around to local music shops about rentals. I would guess that you can get a decent student-level plywood bass for no more than $100/month.

Do NOT simply shop on the basis of price, though. The same bass can play like two completely different instruments on the basis of how it's been set up.

-dh

5. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh, yeah, one other thing: GET A TEACHER. Even before you get the bass.

-dh

6. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Thanks for your reply's guys. It has filled me with encouragement! :)
    I have a teacher, a great one at that.

Ken Coffey, heard of him??

-Tronictq