Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why not EADGC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jucas, Jun 20, 2004.

1. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Hey, I just picked up a godin A5 and don't entirely use the low B. (also its kind of floppy but anyway...) Just wondered who uses EADGC and why you like it (beyond the obvious higher range, or maybe just elaborate on that).

Also, in theory I know I sohuld probably change my nut, but is it really going to matter if I put it off? I figured it might rattle a little, but couldn't really see any other problems with it. Also, if there's any other issues, input is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Steve Swallow tunes like this. Check him out.

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I tune my bass this way. I find it a much more usable and musical instrument that way. Many will disagree but I find that I would use the low B maybe 10% of the time while I could use the high C between 80% and 90% of the time. Easy decision.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im just about to restring my bass this way. I can see more of a use for a high C than i can a low B. I really only use my low B so i can fall back on the low D, but im able to downtune :)

5. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    if i had to choose between beadg and eadgc i`d probalby choose eadgc.
    the low b is a nice thing to have, but i don`t really use it that much, and the high c really makes playing chords easier. and i found out, that when i`m in 100% pantera mode, i can generate more evil with powerchords than with notes below e :D

6. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I've found that I really don't play the low B much and have ordered my Fodera strung EADGC.

I'd like to eventually get a 7 so that'll be my bass with a B ;)

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Jaco had an acoustic strung EADGC...not sure of what recordings it was used on though. When I get a five string fretless in the next year or two, it'll be in EADGC 'cause I know I can find a lot more uses for it than a B string (mostly from playing on my teacher's six). I've actually been contemplating for a while now stringing my fretted ADGC. *shrug*

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pansy four-string players. Learn to play a real bass. Don't go bastardizing the standard to make it more like one of those four-stringy-thingies.

9. Hey, I"m going to use that tunning for my new Godin Freeway 5 Natural Ohhhhhhh
    Thanks
    Troy

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The Fender BassV from the '60s/'70s was strung that way.

11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    This dilemma is exactly why I switched from 5 to 6 yesterday =0)

12. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

The question is, where do you get strings for the EADGC tuning? Getting 6 string sets gets pricey...(since the cost of the B is the most expensive string in a set).

I have 2 five stringers, and have thought about tuning one up...any suggestions?

13. I string EADGC, as of when my bass comes in, hopefully today! GHS makes Tenor strings for $20

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I know that La Bella Deep Talkin' strings are available in a 5-string set with a high C. They're the set that Steve Swallow uses.

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    its nice to have a C. Bu also, when playing with others, you will find out that most of the notes above the D-string are choked up by the other instruments which are working more efficiently in those freq ranges; then the B will come handy to add a bit more low-end and to outsub the others.
    I have a 6 for that matter :p

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The tone will be different - less lively, and they will sound a bit bigger.
    However, dont tune up to high - it wont be good for your bass' neck. Tuning DGCFBb should be enough to get more higher range and cure the floppyness of the B

17. I'm just the opposite from most of you. Since I got my 5, I wear out the B string. I've hardly touched the G string on the thing. I even restrung one of my 4 stringers to BEAD.

Bass is about going low...the lower the better IMO.

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Munjibunga, I'm a pansy because I play a 4 stringer? I don't think so! I hope you are joking.
    Not to open another can of worms but, high C? I guess it just seems wierd to me. Isn't a high C string like .030 gauge? Thats tiny. I have always been trying to get my bass lower. My 4 stringer is tuned BEAD using a five string set. What are the advantages to a bass going to high C?

19. This is a much more useful application if you play jazz or stuff where you're generally going to be soloing a bit, especially if you find a low B often times useless. For any time I need a low B, I use my 6 string bass, I won't have to give up the high C if I need that range.

20. Let me generalize something. If you play more jazz or fusion or whatnot, you're going to be able to make use out of a C string. If you're a metal head, you won't find use out of it and you're going to make fun of it. I don't make fun of Low B strings, I use them, but for god's sake, grow up and perhaps expand your horizons and try and understand. You're not a "guitar player" just because you have more upper register range. :rolleyes: