1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why not many 15" 4ohm cabs available?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Jul 27, 2007.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    How come there are not many mainstream cabinet makers offering 1x15 (4ohm) cabs?

I love single 15" cabs, but it is difficult to find them with enough power handling as well as in 4 Ohms, without going into custom cab territory.

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    The difference in 'real world' volume between a 4ohm and an 8 ohm speaker is really not that much. But, using 8 ohm speakers gives you more options as far as adding more speakers. More speaker surface, pushing more air, will give you more volume (at the same ammount of wattage) than less speaker surface w/ lower ohmage.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Not that many single 15's come with midrange speakers. Some have tweets.

Perhaps they assume the single 115 will be used as a "bottom" cab with a more mid voiced cab above it. Or perhaps this is how they wish to market it. I am not sure if the chicken or egg came first there.

Though more and more heads seem to be offering 2 ohm capabillity, i think that 4 ohm min still rules the roost.

All considered, I bet it comes down to what the major mfg's think they could sell more of. The speaker builders probably then respond too the orders/request from the major cab mfg's.

Could be?

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    My guess is that it allows you to combine your 15 (8ohm) with another cab (8ohm) for a total of 4ohms. Most amps I've seen only go down to 4ohms. There are some that go down to 2ohm. I'm pretty sure that Eden and EA handle the 2ohm load.

Joe

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Yeha, What he said!

6. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I think most 15" speakers in the pro audio world are 8 ohms or a 2x15 cabinet at 4 ohms. I am going to guess that the market isn't that big for the production of 15" 4 ohm speakers thus not many around.

That being said The AccuGroove El Whappo is a 4 ohm cabinet, I'm not a techy but I'd guess the 15 is an 8 ohm speaker and the pairing with the 12 and 6 internally bring it down to 4 ohms.

In addition a cab like the Bag End S15XD can handle plenty of power up and above the published numbers albeit at 8 ohms.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mesa have the Walkabout Scout in 4 ohms, with tweet, crossover, attenuator...great cab.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Ampeg classic 1-15 cab.:bag:

10. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    I'm currently using my Mesa Walkabout head with a Carvin RL115 4ohm. It is much louder than the Scout cab with a 12" speaker. Where I would set the master at 12 o'clock with Scout cab, I only half to set the master to around 10 o'clock. Sounds great, and I'm getting good comments on my sound every week. No tweeter, but I don't really miss it.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I didn't know about that Carvin; it might be just what I need. My Peavey Bam combo is at 4 ohms internally, and goes down to 2 ohms with a 4 ohm extension cab.

12. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That makes sense. It seems that many of the higher watt (SS or Hybrid) heads that are coming out these days are 2-ohm stable, and that the manufacturers would make some adjustment with their cabinets.

Most manufacturers (Genz Benz GBE1200, Ampeg SVT Pro-8, Mesa Titan, Carvin B1500) etc, market their amp's 2 ohm power ability as the headline.

13. +1...Since most amps out there base their wattage on 4 Ohms, I would guess they don't expect a 15 to be a stand alone cab anymore.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I put a 15" 4 ohm Eminence kappa Pro LF into my Bag End S15D and it works quite nicely. Definitely notice an increase of volume and low-end. It bumps up the weight of the cab by 4LBS.

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Where did you get the 4 ohm Kappa Pro LF?

16. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    it's 8ohm

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I bought it from TBer Marcus Willet about a year ago.

Once my new schroe 1212R arrives (should be a couple weeks) I will be selling that driver (for $75).

18. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    My BFC comes with a 500 watt 4 ohm speaker :bassist:
    IMAG0036_2-2.

19. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have a Carvin 115 cab that puts out insane amount of lows.
    I'm trying to sell it, because all I need is the 210.