Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why not midi?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, May 4, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Have you ever thought about using midi in your setup to trigger loops or any other sounds, or is it a little to much going on.
    Do you not fancy turning your bass into a 6 string fretless gong or some other instrument.

Got any thoughts on the new roland v-bass? Toy or serious bit of kit?

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I had a MIDI pickup for a while, but found that it was seriously lacking in control... I'm not a big fan of MIDI sounds... or at least I wasn't until I heard Todd Johnson, who played a MIDI'd up Yamaha bass that allows him to play hammond and bass at the same time!!! Before that, I'd not heard anyone use MIDI in a way that sounded better than just processing a bass... I really like having an acoustic sound source to work with and manipulate...

The V-Bass looks like an altogether more interesting proposition, being as how it's modelling not triggering, so you still have ultimate control over your sound source...

I look forward to trying it!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk