1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why not more pedal combos?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MGR, May 3, 2015.

1. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I've been watching a lot of effect videos lately and I've noticed that a lot of times, bassists use multiple effects like Octave and Auto Wah at the same time. The thought occurred to me that if this is the case, why not start making it easier on us players with combo pedals with multiple bypass switches?

I bring this concept up because in my experience, coordinating my feet along with my playing has been difficult at times, especially more so when two pedals have to be switched on and off simultaneously.

So in my example above, if I were an intrepid pedal designer, I would offer the option to house multiple pedals in one enclosure with the ability to turn both on and off independantly, but then add a thrid on/off that would turn both on or off simultaneously. It would do a lot to make my life easier.

And yes, I realize digital multieffects can be programmed to do this. I am talking about analog offerings here only.

I for one might actually really love an auto wah/octave combo pedal, whereas using both pedals now is problematic because of the lag in getting both on and off at the same time.

Anybody agree with this idea? If so, what two pedal combos (or even three or four pedal combos) would you like to see? I started with the octave/auto wah choice. Maybe phase/distortion?

hintz likes this.
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Because people may not like one or more of the effects but want to choose each individually. (Been there, done that, inevitably one of the effects in the combination isn't what I wanted).

You can of course instead do what you describe using a bypass looper, put two or more pedals in one loop and turn them on or off with one foot switch.

HolmeBass, nicopiano and Bassmike62 like this.
  3. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I agree, as I like as few cables as possible, and I own a Fulltone bassdrive, Swell Bpro and a 3 channel rat tail/greystache....

But there are work arounds like using an ls2 with both pedals in one loop which can have the advantage of getting more unique sound combos. So yeah, if I was a builder I'd definitely make 2 or 3 in one enclosure's!!

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This

5. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Fair enough. I didn't know about the bypass looper so I guess what I want to do can already be done, but.........

Regarding your first point of wanting to choose individually, that is sort of what I am trying to say here. That the 2 pedal enclosure would allow independant use (as if they were two pedals), but the third switch would engage both simultaneously. At the very least it would be a smaller overall footprint and less cabling involved.

And me personally if I know I like a certain combination, like say phase and distortion together, I would pay for a combo pedal specific for that. Of course, maybe not a lot of other people would, which I readily concede.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    But which phaser, and which distortion? That is the problem - they are not all the same.

philipgannon and DwaynieAD like this.
  7. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Presumably I would have to like the offerings of the company that would produce this combination so your point is valid. Anyhow, it was just a thought......

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Provider Supporting Member

Yup, this.
    EHX has been toying with the concept with the Epitome, Tone Tatto and Turnip Greens. Tech21 pushed it a step further with the FlyRig and the RK5. Not seeing much of those around, but then, they're probably aimed at guitar players.

9. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    You can also get a custom built one off from a certain renown builder that is often on the effects forum ;)

10. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Thanks for pointing out those EH pedals. The only issue with the Epitome is that while it does put 3 pedals in one enclosure, there is no dedicated all on/off switch. The pedal still is like 3 separate pedals since they only have on/off switches for each. This defeats the purpose.

Turnip Greens has the same issue. On the Turnip Greens, if there was a third bypass switch that turned on the reverb and overdrive at the same time, that would be more like my idea.

11. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I stay far away from one-offs because they are too expensive up front, and do not hold any value on the used market.

12. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Fair enough....

13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Check out some of the COG custom stuff. He makes absolutely killer analog multi-effects.

Galleon_both_Large..opt472x435o0,0s472x435. Octa_Frog.JPG.opt467x418o0,0s467x418.JPG Red_Five_med_2.JPG.opt551x425o0,0s551x425.JPG CVS-1401.JPG.opt507x386o0,0s507x386.JPG Bop_Gun_LRG.JPG.opt860x651o0,0s860x651.JPG

14. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    But - yes the reason why I don't use multi-effects in general or combination pedals is that I find that, as has been said, I would like liberty to create my own combinations with the particular effects that I want. So if I want distortion and phase, I would like the distortion to be made by, say, sfx and the phase to be made by Johnk. Or the octave to be made by COG and the overdrive by BJFE.

15. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    may I humbly introduce you (OP) to the NOSE PEDAL
    i encourage you to poke around in their web web web and look into custom stuf tha make too

+1 "bypass looper" as such;

good luck on your journey
    :thumbsup::woot::bassist::cool:

-Dash

HolmeBass and MGR like this.
  16. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    OP here. I never knew about loopers before this thread, and weirdly enough, the nose pedal was the one that caught my eye a few hours ago. One of those is definitely in my future.

Veldar likes this.
  17. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Another bad thing about 'combo' pedals is that's it's impossible to switch the order. The one with the input will always be first, what if you like it better the other way around?

18. selassie1

selassie1 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I use multiple multi effects pedals and love it! Good times. image.

19. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Maxon and Ibanez made analog multieffects exactly like this.

Is it Pete Cornish that will build your board into a setup like this?

I prefer pedals with foot switchable features to single box multieffects. Dual channel ODs (EQD Palisades), fuzzed with tone bypass (Fender Blender), synths with switchable voices (Pigtronix Mothership), complex effects with presets (SA BEF Pro, EHX POG2).

20. If I could like this post more than once, I would.

I'm personally looking into a pedal switching system. I've got 10 pedals going at the moment, and I think it would be handy just to have them all on one platform.

I kindof want to build a switcher though. It's not a complicated build, I would assume. But now that I've seen the cog stuff, I've got some GAS going on... AGAIN.

Time to start saving my pennies again.