1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why not so many boutique basses with wooden control cavity covers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michele, Apr 25, 2010.

1. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Title says it all. Reason seems to be preventing a thin piece of wood from bending but it seems to me that Cliff Bordwell did it fine glueing the thin layer of wood to a thick metal cover in his basses.
    Can't stand those black plastic cover destroying the look of a nice chunk of wood even if it's on the back!

2. MPica

MPica

Feb 13, 2010
    I see wooden control cavity covers all the time... :ninja:

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You mean like this:

10-24-08.

It's a Walnut cover.

4. bamba22

bamba22 Commercial User

Dec 24, 2009
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    Wow, that is really nice bass

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He means the cavity cover on the back of a bass.

6. mines got one :ninja:
    [​IMG]

7. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I cannot stand wooden knobs or wooden pickguards. To me its as bad as having wooden trim on the outside of a car. Designed for people with dubious tastes and too much money attempting to look sophisticated but coming across as new-money. Just my $0.02.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No one's talking about wooden pickguards or wooden knobs. Please be a little more respecful with your replies- it's fine if you don't like them, but there's no need to take a swing at other people who do.

9. WOW!

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Well, since my Birdsong is front routed, I don't have a control cover on the back.

11. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If we're talking about an instrument with a transparent finish, it takes more effort & skill to craft a wood control cavity cover with grain that matches that of the surrounding wood than it does to use a black plastic cover. Personally, I'd rather see a black plastic cover than a mismatched wood cover, or one that doesn't fit correctly.

On the other hand, painting a cover to match a bass with an opaque finish is no more difficult than painting a headstock to match the color of the body; comes down to labor cost versus the cost of a plastic cover.

12. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    For the most part, I think wood knobs, cavity covers, etc. look silly.
    Steel or Aluminum on the other hand, are very cool.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Mine has a wood cover:

Bee20060630-02.

14. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I thought a huge portion, if not the majority, of boutique basses had wooden control cavity covers.

Personally I don't see it as a big deal, if the cover is on the back of the bass.

15. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    Once again, a subject line that makes no sense whatsoever. The only place I've ever seen grain-matched wood control cavity covers is on boutique basses and guitars.

But does that mean they all have to have them?

16. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    This one has one:
    DSC_3810.

This one doesn't:

Ritter0347back_2.

17. Good point, custom "boutique" type basses are usually the ones that do come standard with matching wood grain control cavity covers. If not, most boutique bass builders can offer that as a custom option.

18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Good lord cheeto. you got 12 inch long fingers or something? Lol. Lovely bass, but I couldnt even begin to play something with that wide a neck. I like the look of it with black control cavity and battery covers beter then the other one with wood cover myself. Did I say thats gotta be the best bolt on bolting on of extra wide neck Ive ever seen to. Lovely.

I'd not want a wood cover for control cavity myself. Cause plastics less likely to break by accident when its off. Ok, so not if it veneer over aluminum. And I dunno, I just think the black covers act asthetically kinda like the rest of the hardware on nice bass. Course I'm also weird enough that if control knobs allowed for it I'd probably trade wood ones for black speed knobs to. Lol. Then of course theres quick access baqttery compartment/s. Nice made plastic one would be more reliable long term then wood one unless real expensive Id think. So since any Id have would have those, the control cavity should have same kinda cover for even look. O I geauss veneer to make it practically invisible from wood matching. But then your trying to take cover off in dim light and cant find it. Cause its invisible instead of easy spotted black thing there. Lol.

Maybe someone should offer them black plastic covers in other colors? Then maybe happier with one? LOl. Tell you what, them wood covers better not be tight fitting. I'd be cussing like the dickens trying to pry it off without chipping wood edge with screwdriver. No I think I better stick to plastic control cavity covers. I'm to likely to take a file to one to make it fit not so snug, etc. Makes a faux wood plastic cover for...

19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Tobias Classic, circa 1990 or 1991, wooden control cavity cover.

Attached Files:

20. Hehehe darkstorm, thanks. I'm really happy about the way my bass is turning out. Shouldn't be uncomfortable to play it so long as I don't approach my bass a guitar, or don't try to wrap my thumb around the top of the frett board like I do on my 4-stringer :p