Why not the big I

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Viviuos, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    As I read more and more about basses and bass players I seem to notice that there are not very many Ibanez players out and about. Why is this, is it a quality thing? Availability? Look? I myself use an Ibanez GSR 100 and love it to death. It’s sleek and elegant; all black with silver hardware. Since this is my first bass I can’t really compare construction quality, however I don’t find it to be a problem; so far it seems vary well constructed. I’ve played other basses at my local GC and only one has felt better then mine. I’ve played with basses that cost almost $2000 and I’ve played basses that cost about $200. (mine cost me $178.43 – used) My next bass (If I can ever afford another one) will be an EDA 900, they are so hot. I guess I’ve got the Ibanez bug.
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Not in-and-of itself, but compared to other brands at the same pricepoint, yes. I believe this has partially to due with the dollar-to-yen, but there are far more alternatives these days that are built just as well (if not better) and offer more features.

God no.

Depends on the model.

I think for Ibanez, they never really left the 80's in terms of design and what bassists "called for". We moved on from pencil-thin necks and ultra-tight string spacing to ones that were more "generally" more comfortable to play. Ibanez has generally been late to recognize these movements in the marketplace, and when they have made a good model it's not marketed right or enough, and discontinued. The BTB-series aside, how many real successes have they had in the last few years? All of their signature models, while wonderful instruments, are overpriced and undermarketed. Models like the ATK and RKB series are discontinued without a chance to gain exposure. Just how long did it take to come up with a Lakland-type bass (The Roadgears) or nu-metal-esque (SRX's) after the fact? Shifting production from MIJ to MIK while charging the same (or increased) prices on even their "Prestige" lines?!?

Pure and simple, it's a combination of lack of consumer knowledge and bad marketing... and before I'm written off as a "hater", I own three (an SR-800, SR-1206, and RKB-900) and consider myself an Ibanez fan. It's simply disappointing to see the same mistakes made time and time again.

You better hurry, or start searching the 'bay. The EDA has been discontinued (while the dreadful EDB lives on :scowl: ) Yet more proof of how disconnected Ibanez is from the consumer.
  3. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I guess players aren't looking for what Ibanez is generally pitching. I've owned a couple and they just never grew on me.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I pitched myself as an Ibanez fanatic for the first two years of playing. I owned two SR800's (one with EMG's) an SR400 and an SR645. All were great basses, but I'm down to just the SR400 as it was my first bass. They're good instruments for the price, and they're certainly quick and light. But it just came to be time where I needed a different sound and feel.

I won't knock them, they're a bit out of touch with the bassist community, but they're starting to make some really good basses again! Now who wants to give me an SR406?
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think historically Ibanez has focused much of their energy on cloning classic designs, VERY well in many cases, but aside from a few exceptions, has failed lay their own foundations as far as tone and character are concerned. As instrumentalists we are judged by our sound, which starts with our bass and ends with our style and ability. It is our "voice" if you will.
    To me the recent Ibanez products I have tried have looked like cutting edge bass technology, and felt and sounded FINE. For many FINE is acceptable, for others FINE will never ever due, AMAZING is required, period!!!
    Why not the BIG I ???Value and quality generally not a problem!!
    I have given my very personal opinion but you need to decide for yourself..
  6. i own a EDA900.... sooo hot. Punch like all hell and good tone. ibanez has alot of cheapy poos, and good stuff aswell. i think alot of players write ibanez as cheap. theres not many that i like, mainly coz of their look, too bland. however, the EDA is hotttt, and the sr900 is a beautiful bass with amazing tones. better hurry and find an EDA900, its been discontinued as sed earlier... and that other ergodyne bass is just horrible :meh: check out music shops, u should be able to find one cheap. I got mine for half price brand new... simply bcoz theyre such an odd bass ibanez doesnt sell alot. so everynow and then they clear them out coz they dnt sell... this is what happend here and i got one for $700!!! :eek: :bassist:

Peace love and funk
    Chips :bassist:
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I hate that ibanez doesnt lets you choose the color, FE: the doug wimbish sig is a nice bass but comes in a horrid orange lacquer, while a natural satin would be great. And it comes with EMG pickups much more easier to find a replace than the standar Ibanes humbuckers.

And to say something good about them they finally put matching headstock colors on their roadgear line.
  8. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    They should bring back the neck thru musician bass and be done with those millions of soundgears. "SGR"= So Greatly Repeated...
  9. Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    well ibanez makes many great instruments.
    i play a gsr 200 (first bass yeah :D) and for the money it's a real rocker.
    i ordered a fender prec deluxe lately but
    i'm gasing at that artcore semi-acoustic bass.
    The ATK were so great, dunno why they discontinued it :crying:

in my opinion ibanez lak of character. their instruments are great but especially their design is quite soulless.
    compare a soundgear to a jazz (or whatever you like) which one has got more mojo?
    imo thats why there are not so many ibanez-lovers
  10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I had a GSR200 as my first bass. I know the construction wasn't that great. The knobs came off easily and the paint job around the pickup routes was pretty shoddy. I owned that for a few weeks and then got an SR400 which I had for about 2 years. It was a nice bass, played very well, was comfortable..I Just didn't like the tone. Very boring and nothing to write home about.

I've never really liked the BTB basses. The body style was uncomfortable for me where you rest your arm over the bass. The SRX basses weren't bad, but I didn't like the heavy gloss of the neck.

I always wanted to get an SR3000e but they discontinued that (again, like everyone else..I don't know why) I don't care for the new SR1000 models that replaced it. They were one of the only companies to offer a wenge board in this price range...why discontinue it and go to bland looking basses with rosewood like every other model? The only saving grace is the pickups, even the MK-1's on the lower SR500 models, which actually look pretty nice to me.

While they are pretty good bang for the buck, I've never taken them too seriously when you compare them to a company like Lakland who is modern, but yet traditional at the same time and willing to change when it has to.
  11. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I also think a big part of why Ibanez is kinda looked down upon is that in recent years, other companies have been making killer basses at the more popular Ibanez price points and, well, they're often better. Ibanez isn't the only game in town any more.

Back in 1995 when I switched from a 4-string to a 5-string, there were VERY few choices in budget 5-strings so I had to settle for an Ibanez TR, since Ibanez was, like, the only game in town. And I have talked about that bass in the POS thread.

When I got my entry-level 6-string, I was so happy that there were other choices in my price point besides Ibanez since I didn't have the greatest experiences with Ibanezes in my bass past.
  12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I noticed though that most of the stores in my area carry more Ibanez than anything else most of the time. Probably because they know when a young kid walks in the store that's what they'll want.
  13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Ibanez makes decent instruments at decent prices, and not much more or less, IMO. I've never seen an Ibanez at a price that I thought was a steal or a particular bargain, but then again, I've never seen one that I thought was overpriced or a rip-off. My biggest complaint is with their stock pickups; I'v always found them to be fairly weak. I do like their necks though. As far as I'm concerned, if you like the look and the sound, there's no good reason not to buy one. They're just not my cup of tea.
  14. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Ibanez is basically pretty cool, but a lot of the stuff written above definitely applies.

Me, I only liked the SRX series stuff. I used an SRX505 for about 3 years, it was very powerful ... problem is, it was only powerful, little to no other tonal qualities. The other drawback, for me, is the neck size .... way too tight.

But, don't be swayed by the players on this forum .... most don't like Ibanez, however, there are a whole load of these basses in use every day. Must be a reason for that :meh:
  15. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Those new roadgears look promising. Too bad they try to keep the price down by using basswood and agathis on the lower end model. I think they should be banned from agathis since it chips sooo easy and is no better than pine wood.
  16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    My first is a GSR100 P-bass clone... It was a great bass to figure things out on. I out grew it and moved on to my Lakland..

When people ask me for a good starter bass, I point them to Ibanez over Squire or other brands in that price point. Ibanez starter basses still stay in tune. They look good and have good enough tone for someone who is just figuring out the instrument.

I think Ibanez has also looked directly into the NuMetal and Alternative market. Look at who they make signature basses for (Fieldy comes to mind).
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Agree 100%. I also recomend them for starter basses, its what I started on as well (recently de-fretted). In the beggining, I didnt have any idea of the tone I was after, and for the money, its hard to find something as decent. Having never really even played their other models much I dont comment on them. I played my GSR200 for about 9 months before also outgrowing it and getting my Dingwall. Talk about an upgrade hehe.
  18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm currently GASing for an inexpensive natural body/maple neck. If I can get that, my GSR will probably lose some weight in steel... i'm not fretting about it..
  19. I feel so crap. I'm kinda pooresque and I've been playing my Ibanez GSR200 since December- 7th grade (I'm in 9th now.)
    It's quite definitely time for me to step up, and now I'm looking in the 600-700 dollar range. I want a FAT tone, and I want a 5. (I was going to get a six, but I feel that I can do good on a 5 for a while.)

I'll probably switch out from Ibanez basses, although I LOVE my Ibanez GSR200, it's not the quality I love, it's the hundreds or thousands of hours I've spent on the thing making sweet music.
  20. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    There's something magical about your first bass *L* that's why I still have mine... I got about 9 more months out of mine by switching out the single-coils and sticking in Barts and a Pre-amp...

If youa re looking for a good, inexpesnive 5-string, look at Lakland Skylines. They run around $700. I've had mine for about a year, and I love it...