Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why not the other way around?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by juanpauribe, Dec 15, 2003.

1. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    ive come to see from personal experience that when "the bass shadows the guitar", people say the bassist is not being creative, or that he didnt contribute much to the song musically, etc.

but even though this arguments are already stupid in my opinion, theres one thing that we tend to overlook.

couldnt it be possible that the bassist created the whole song, and the guitar player is the one shadowing? It happened in my band quite often, and people used to say, "man Juan, how come youre just following the guitar, couldnt you come up with something different?

vdxkz;gv nl; ahhhhhhhhhhhhh pisses me off, damn commercial guitar!!

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    yeah man word to all yall mommas!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think anybody has "overlooked" this possibility and it is the case in some of the most famous bands ever - so everybody knows that Sting wrote the songs in the Police and played bass or Paul in the Beatles, etc. - most people could come up with dozens of examples!! :meh:

4. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I've run into that problem. In my last band, the guitar player would almost always shadow the parts I came up with. Most of the time it was fine, but there were times where I would come up with a killer line that I thought would sound great if the guitar was doing something totally different. Well he would start off doing something different, unfortunately, over time it would morph into shadowing my part. It drove me nuts!

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

But in the public eye they are known for vocals/songwriting more than bass playing.

Non musicians... and some musicians, just don't understand the role of the bass, they don't know what to listen for, and if there is a really cool catchy bass riff, a lot of people would assume it to be guitar.

A lot of people think

A) The bass is easy because it has 4 strings.

"Guitar is easy because it has 6 strings" - John Turner ;)

B) Bass is easy because you don't use chords. :rolleyes:

Guitar is easy because you don't have to be in time to impress people. :p

P.S. I don't know if John Turner really said that... but he should have.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Without Bass and drums, guitar players are just starting, soloing, or closing songs. The punch and kick of a rythym section make it move along.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would also add John Paul Jones(e.g. "Black Dog") & Jack Bruce("Politician", "Sunshine Of Your Love", etc).

Personally, I don't care if the great unwashed masses don't understand the role of the bass.

8. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I actually use chords on my bass. I think it's Fat Mike's (of NOFX) influence on my playing. I mainly use them for intro's or bridges.

9. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    sure most dont play chords, but dam do they need to know them.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    When I do this: :rolleyes: I'm being sarcastic. Of course you can play chords on a bass. Any instrument where you can sound multiple tones at once gives you the ability to play a chord. But people don't know this I guess.

11. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I would just hand the guitarist my bass say you wanna play this while I make up some good stuff for that thing ya got in your hands?

It is so much fun playing the bass that I can't really blame anyone for shadowing a good line.

tk