1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why oh WHY do the Fender Deluxe 5ers have the inline 5 headstock?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Epitaph04, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Now, I realize its shallow as hell. I love the Fender Jazz bass. Always have, and one of the things Ive always liked about them is the big fat headstock with the big tuners on it. When I first saw a Jazz 5er I fell in love with the look of the 4+1 headstock.

I'm thinking of eventually getting my self a Deluxe 5er but they have that INLINE 5 HEADSTOCK!! As I said...yeah its shallow. Who cares as long as it plays and sounds great, right?

But why do they have that tuner configuration? Why do the standards have the 4+1 but not the Deluxe MIMs? Wouldn't the extra tuner on the inline cause neck dive because its so much closer to the tip of the headstock compared to the 4+1? (Okay maybe that wasnt a serious question...)

Still though...anybody know why?

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Because that's the way they've been making them.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Yes, shallow.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Buy USA and they do

[​IMG]

5. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    But why though? There's gotta be a why!

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    My hypothesis — while not grounded in any sort of fact — is that FMIC has a large inventory of in-line 5 necks sitting in a warehouse somewhere. I too prefer the 4+1 configuration, if only for aesthetic reasons.

7. Epitaph04

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Hmm...never really thought about that.

8. To bother you.

9. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    One of the things I really like about my Jazz V is the 5 in-line tuners.

I wish all my fivers were all like that.

10. trueno87

trueno87

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn,NY
    maybe to differentiate between MIA and MIM; The MIA used to be made with inline 5

11. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Agreed, 5-in-line was never my thing... not that I hate the configuration per se, but one of the defining characteristics of Fender basses, in my mind at least, are those big cloverleaf-key tuners... and, obviously, you cannot fit five of them in a row on a standard sized P or J headstock.

Now, as to "why", I guess some would say "cost-cutting measures", but I tend to disagree, seeing as some (early-2000's, I believe) American Deluxes featured the same design. Probably an attempt to modernize the appearance and set the fivers apart, or just some exec's whim, who knows...

The solution? Save up for an US-made Fender... It'll be worth it, I warrant, and not only for the sake of tuner arrangement and/or headstock appearance :)

As an added incentive, see picture below ;)

Attached Files:

12. I don't like 5 in-line,either. Actually,I don't 4+1 configuration,either. It's 3 + 2 arrangement that I prefer.

13. LMBO, sorry but that was funny:D

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The MIM 5 I played had as bad a neck dive as a T Bird to me.
    Play a USA & a MIM and you will never pick up a MIM again.

15. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, the MIA's and MIM's were both manufactured that way for a while. They changed the MIA's to a 4+1 and I think the MIM standards are 4+1. So I'm not sure. :p

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Me too. Way more aesthetically pleasing to me.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    That is what a 5 string Fender should look like!

18. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    My guess is that they wanted to differentiate the more expensive basses to make them more desirable. The same way Gibson uses a different headstock on Epiphones. But it's just a guess

19. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I feel your passion, but for the opposite. I love the 5 in line and hate the after thought look of the 4+1. Owned both versions, kept the 5 inline.

20. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Nooooooo! NYET, NINE.
    5 Inline.....got a ring to it too?
    4 + 1, only pleases some.