1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why on Earth would someone "camp out" for a video game system?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I heard a news story about someone who camped out for one of those new video game consols that came out, and then was robbed at gunpoint for it when he left the store.

That's funny. I don't know what's more disturbing, the fact that he was robbed at gun point for a video game system, or the fact that he camped out overnight for a video game system.

Seriously though, what is wrong with these people? Why would ANYONE camp out overnight for a.......video game system????

Why not just wait a week or two, and then just walk into the store on any given day, and purchase what you want? You must have serious issues if you are willing to camp out for something like this, espically when it will be widley available in less than a week. I don't get it.

2. Three reasons:

1. The thrill/endeavor of waiting outside for something. The same reason people go to midnight showings of movies, it's fun in and of itself.

2. Fanboys

3. To sell them on ebay for 3 grand.

3. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I second the selling them on E-bay for three grand thing.

4. 1. dorks
    2. no life
    3. see #1.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    They aren't going for $3k. They aren't even moving at $1.5k:

http://video-games.search.ebay.com/playstation-3_Systems_W0QQsacatZ62054

It's the thrill of being *first*. For these people, video games make up a large portion of their life. Before video games, I guess there were movie addicts like that and people STILL get in line for movies.

It doesn't happen with any other product because we have many more choices. How many different bass manufacturers are there? Lots. Video game consoles? All of 3, and they come out every 5 or so years.

Lastly, I tried the "I'll just go next week" thing with the PS2. It didn't work. I didn't get one until a few months later and even then it was overpriced because it was from a store in the mall. I'd never camp out for anything, though. I'm just too apathetic.

The fact is, there is a fairly large demand for these, but a very short supply.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    How much do you practice bass per day?

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    In one city a group of people who were waiting for a store to open so they could get their game were robbed and one guy was shot,there have been reports of a mad dash once the doors were open and one guy ran into a pole and injured himself pretty bad and the list goes on.

and far as why would some one wait over night or in a very long line is related to why people do the same to get into a concert.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Guess what... I work at a toy store, and we presold the 4 we got. We have one of the 4 coming back that it didn't even work...

Bet those guys on ebay spending that much money are going to be quite upset when they get a broken one out of the box!

9. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't think firsties is worth camping out for, but that's me.

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Yup. PS3 is using some shoddy hardware.

11. Yes. 20 minutes from my house, in Putnam, CT.

Idiots.

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    lol @ blaming victims for being robbed

But officer! She wanted to get raped! Just look at what she was wearing!

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Remember the Xbox 360 craze? They are everywhere now, and probably more reliable than the first run.

14. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's another thing; launch platforms. Never up to snuff. I'd rather wait and get a third/fourth gen. While I might not be first, mine will work for the duration of it's life.

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Not to mention half the price.

16. Sure hope that wasn't directed at me. I was talking about the people doing the shooting. I find it horrifically sad.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I went out around 10PM Thursday night and got in line to get a PS3. A few of my friends had been in line since about 7:30PM. We got two. One is at my friends house, and the other was sold on my local craigslist. I paid $600, and sold it for $1700 Friday evening.

I would be really surprised if you can walk in any old store next week and buy a PS3 off the shelf. It won't be like that for another month.

Laugh at me all you want, call me a dork all you want. I made $1100 for about three hours of my time late Thursday evening. What were you doing? Sleeping probably. :D

To put it in perspective for those who just don't understand. If Sadowsky made basses every four or five years, I guaran-dang-tee you people would be lined up down the block in front of his shop in New York the day or even days before they went on sale.

-Mike

18. Let's expand the disussion, then (so long as we can still dog on the gaming dorks). I've never felt alone on this, but maybe I am: I have never waited in line overnight for anything. Movies, concerts, game systems.....etc, etc, etc. Never. I do not understand the mentality. I've always felt like my time could be better spent.

Mike

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Well, you did say "idiots" when it was 1 guy who did the shooting.

And I'm just too lazy.

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think he meant the person who did the shooting, and the people who are going through such hoops for a bit of wires and chips...