Why on earth.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by norseman, May 15, 2004.

1. norseman

Feb 19, 2004
    doesn't the online shops list string spacing in their descriptions of the bass guitars their offering,
    especially the 5 string and over models?
    Even the websites of manufacturers I've been visiting, doesn't list string spacing :meh:

I'm still looking for my 2nd bass. I've come to the conclusion that
    I want a versatile active 5 string bass, and the limit is about $700 USD.

My problem is that I have BIG (blue collar) fingers, and my current bass (OLP MM clone, 5 string)
    has only 15 mm (.059) string spacing. It's very uncomfortable to play :(

If anyone has recommendations for basses with wide string spacing, and within price range, I'd be very happy to know.

If a 5 string with my specifications can't be found, I might just surrender,
    and buy the Fender Geddy Lee 4 string (even though it's not active).
  2. Try the Yamaha TRB-5. Nice wide spacing (I play the 6), and you may well be able to get a second hand one for under that.
  3. norseman

Feb 19, 2004
    I don't think so, It's unbelieveably expensive here. I checked the price for a new one,
    and with todays exchange rate the new one cost $1682.29 USD here.
    And I don't wanna take the chance of buying used from a private individual in the U.S,
    since It's a long way to travel to kick someone's backside, if someone sold me a lemon :D
  4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Your quest will be long enough till you save the money for some bass with a wide neck like the warwick thumb bass bolt-on 6 strings broadneck
  5. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have similar hands. The Lakland Skyline 55-01 would be a good bet.
  6. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Don't some of the Cort Curbow basses have really wide string spacing with prices in and around the $700 price point and below? I cannot comment on these basses as I've not played them, but I think some of them do have wide spacing. I could be wrong, of course.

I'm easily overstating the obvious here, but avoid Ibanez Soundgears. Those basses have thinner/narrower necks and nuts than other 5 stringers.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My Spector Ns2000 Q5 has a spacing of 17mm. Its not the absolute widest spacing you can find obvioously,but i find that it doesnt have a large amount of neck taper, meaning its still wide ish at the nut, meaning the the spacing at the edge of the fingerboard and around the neck pickup is still decently wide.
  8. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    - Ibanez BTB
    - MTD Kingston (not shure about string spacing)
    - MIM Jazz 5
  9. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Seconded... it definitely seems to fit your needs.

MTD's new active Kingstons/Heirs might fit in your pricerange, too, but I'm not positive about that.
  10. norseman

Feb 19, 2004
    Thanks for Your help, guys!

As usual, there's a lot of great advice from knowledgeable
    people in here. I humbly bow my head to You all!!!