1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why own two or more of the same thing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarMan, Mar 4, 2008.

1. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    :confused:This is not to start a flame. I have a MusicMan Sterling HS and a Warwick Thumb BO. I had a Stingray H on order and than I found the Warwick and couldn't resist it, so I cancelled the Stingray order. I found the Stingray sound was very close to that of my Sterling. The Warwick was a completely different sound. I wanted the variety.

I notice on the MusicMan forum that quite a few people own multiple Stingrays, Sterlings or Bongos in different colors and pickup options. Sometimes the only differences will be the color. It is the same on the Warwick forum. There are similarities in sound with the various bass families as well as simjilarities in style. I've played the various versions of the MusicMan basses and I do hear some differences but they have a certain distinctive MusicMan sound. The same with Warwick. I realize that it's a personal decision, but why would you want to own multiple versions of what are very similar basses in lieu of samples from different manufactures? Just curious. Once again, this is not meant as a flame to those who have mulitiples, I'm just curious.

Thanks,

2. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Not two basses sound the same, so having two Fender Jazzes (one from the 70's and one new) might serve a purpose. You can also string them in different tunings or with different strings, while still retaining the same overall feel and playability.

Also, sometimes you want basses to sound the same, especially if you gig a lot and need a backup. If your backup is completly different from your main, the crowd won't take happily to you fiddling with knobs trying to EQ your passive to have the same input and presence as your active one midset for example.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I like all the pretty colors!

I also like having a similar equipped backup of my favorite player basses....then a backup for each of those. Then there's the rare/LE's...then...

It's just an addiction man!

4. It makes sense for alot of people to have a useful backup. Or some people just like the very subtle differences more than others.

Ive got two HH stingrays and two cheap aria P/Js. One fretted, one fretless of each, its nice to have that difference :)

5. You don't really need two hands, they both serve the same purpose...

lowsound

6. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I was gonna make a post but after reading this opener I found life too confusing.

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    There usually are two kinds of people that buy more than one similar bass:

1-A professional that needs several instruments for touring, and

2-A hobbyist with disposable income and an obssesion.

The ones you see on forums usually are number 2s, because number 1s are busy touring.

I'm between the two: I play professionally part-time, and also have an obssesion.

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I was thinking for this reason alone, different tones. For example:

P with Flats
    P with Rounds
    J with Flats
    J with Rounds
    Fretless J
    Fretless P
    ect, ect..

YMMV, and Y$MV. :D

+1 and +1!!!

9. It's a good question.
    I have 5 Jazz Basses - 2 MIA Jazzers that I use as my main and backup gigging pieces.
    A Geddy Lee which, as those who have one know sounds and plays differently to all other Jazz Basses.
    A Marcus Miller Jazz, which has an active EQ so ALSO has it's own distinctive voice, and my Frankenbass J-style bass which I love because it's mine, unique.
    They're all the same, but they're all different....

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    There is a third option though:

One may be collecting and comparing different tones based on a true and tried forms

eg. my Mahogany/Maple Dingwall has a distinctly different tone compared with my Walnut/Wenge or my Alder bodied Dingwall

I am both a hobbyist (lover of music as a form of art) as well a professional (I gig, record and perform with different people). I do not rely on music for my hard-earned income and I am blessed in that aspect

11. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I think you'd have to be an idiot to buy two of the same thing when you have literally thousands of choices out there. EXCEPT, of course, I have this one bass I think is so wonderful I might get another one just like it. Just in case, you know?

12. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I have found several forms that work for me (Status, Dingwall, Ken Lawrence, Fodera to name a few), so I am trying different versions (tonally speaking) of that form that served me well from the start and still I am trying out many new things that are out there (50+ basses owned, long term)

13. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    lol...and some take laptops in the road tocut the boredom...:help:

14. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    geat point, when all I played was Pbasses I had 7 with different pick ups for different sounds. I also had 1 set up to sound like my main P as it's backup.

15. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    ...or maybe you need to have two basses in different tunings. Same bass, different tunings makes it easy to switch without having to change all of your amp settings, etc

16. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    No understand question.

bongocompositeapril2007b.

17. I'm thinking OCD might be a good answer to "why".

18. Familiarity.

I have 3 MM SR5's: my main bass, a back-up, both fretted. I take the back-up if I'm worried that it might get knocked over, etc. Also, a fretless SR5. They don't sound completely alike, but there's enough familiarity that I don't have to fool around much with EQ to get a decent sound. And having a fretless version of your main bass helps facilitate playing in tune (MHO, IME, etc.)

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Realistically, I NEED the following:

My Sadowsky 4 and 5 strings for that modern tone (and I need a 4 and a 5 for what I play).
    A EBMM SR as it gives me some modern as well as that vintage P sound
    A Fretless

4 basses and I could likely do without the Sadowsky 4.

3 minimum, but owning lots of basses is fun.:hyper:

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My reasons:

1) Appearance -- different colors

2) TONE: Identical instruments can still sound very different even when freshly strung with the same strings!

3) Backup

4) Rounds on one, flats or tapes on the other