1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Pets?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Neb Maro, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Why do people get pets?

In terms of practicality.
    Most pets are just another mouth to feed. They don't, except for a few exceptions, provide any services.

With typical family dogs, you have to feed them, watch over them, pick up after them, bath them. It's like having a toddler for the next 8-15 years.
    Some dogs provide great services, but they're not in the majority.

With cats, it's sometimes like a weird juxaposition between teen and toddler.
    You have to feet them, clean out their litterboxes (unless they are 100 percent outside cats), occasionaly bath them, vet them. After all this, they have the gall to appear to be ungrateful. They do what they want, are affectionate when they want and have no trouble showering you with scorn when you breach their boundaries.

Fish: Changing water, watching PH levels, feeding, creating little environments.

Reptiles: Feeding, cleaning habitats, cleaning up shed skins and they seem to show no affection whatsoever. (I had an iguana that would whip, bite and scratch almost every chance he got. He did at times let me balance him on my head like Quincy in the Foxtrot comics)

Rodents: Smelly fuzz balls. Albeit quite cute. (Had a hamster named Buster who broke out of every cage I got until I put him in a glass teranium with a screen cover. Then he had the gall to die on me)

So, looking at things on the surface, pets are a burden.

I have a cat and a dog. I love them both. My dog is over needy when it comes to affection and my cat sometimes makes me bleed, but is adorable and affectionate as well. I would probably be miserabl without them. I just don't really know why they matter so much to me.
    In terms of practicality, I would save so much money without them. My house would be in better repair, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

So I'm left loving them and not fully knowing why.

So, why pets?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have my dog buddy because he's my companion. He does whatever he wants, but it's always good to have him around. I'm going to get my rottweiler to work for me, and be my companion.

I think the number one reason I love dogs so much is because of the companionship. If you don't understand it, you never will.

[​IMG]

Plus he's a bad***

3. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I think that's the number on reason I love dogs too is for the companionship. My dog has helped me through some tough times.

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I have a dog for companionship and to force me to walk (exercise). The breed I have is very high energy and if not walked daily she goes nuts and chews the kids toys up.I can also beat the sheet out of my dog and she is still my friend + no one calls CPS:D

My brother and his wife had a peeping tom , they got a dog and used him as an intruder alert warning system , it worked , no more peeping tom.

Other than that they can be a pain in the ***

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Because wives MUST stop at the pet store with your little kids everytime they go to the mall - twice a week. Sooner or later you give in.

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Because my wife doesn't run up and smile at me
    when I get home. But the wacky poodle does, so I
    keep feeding it.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    dogs > people

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Because your pets always love you no matter what. That's comforting.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Why? Because it's worth it.

10. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Hey thor, is that on of those no-bark shock collars?

11. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    aw... i want a dog

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Agreed.

13. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I really gotta get my parents digital and add to that list. My dog should be seen. :)

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dang, Thor - did you ever see the movie Alien? Your poodle looks a lot like a chestburster...

We have two kittens. Yes, they are a pain and frustrating a lot of the time, but for some inexpicable reason I can't imagine not having them. I was never a big "pet" person, but I love my cats to death!

We also have some fish (and the crabs of course), but fish are really just moving art.

15. Let me preface this with the fact that we have a boxer, a cat, and several water-dwelling pets (my son's turtles and lizards), so I live with pets, but I dislike them very much.

Here is my theory on house-pets.

If you went out and paid, lets say, a quarter to a half a million dollars, or more, for something, and something else came along and took a big steaming plopper, peed, threw up, chewed or clawed at it, what would you do? :confused:

What would you think of the offending pooping, peeing, chewing, clawing, or throwing up entity?

I rest my case. :bag:

16. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Next up on ym pet list is a Great Dane, but I will proibably have to wait until the sad day comes when my current dog dies. He's already jealous of the cat. More competition would be too much.

I think I was a born dog lover. they were my favorite animals even when I was terrified of them.

17. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I happen to like animals better than a lot of people... I've been working on and off all day on my bed with three cats curled up into little balls within about five foot radius, it's stupid cute around here... when I get a house with a yard, I'm getting a dog. I just enjoy the company of animals, it's fun to try and figure out what the hell they are thinking sometimes. For instance:

montyflower.

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The house can't play tug-of-war with you.

I rest my case. :)

19. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    lol...what was your theory on house pets again? That they are destroyers extraordinaire?